Job Title: Nutrition Specialist, P-4, Kampala, Uganda
Vacancy No: E-VN-2013-000938
Duty Station: Kampala
Contract Type: Long-term Staff (FT)
Purpose of the Position
Under the general guidance of the Chief, Health and Nutrition (Alive Programme), you will be responsible for the overall management, development, planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of nutrition programme in the context of 'Keeping Children Alive'.
Key Expected Results
1. Contributes to the preparation of the Situation Analysis and its periodic update. Prepares nutrition programme inputs to the Country Programme Document (CPD) and all related documents,
2. Formulates and develops nutrition programme goals, strategies, methodologies and approaches and implements based on result-based approach within Human Rights framework by broad participation and collaboration with internal and external partnership.
3. Reviews and evaluates the technical, institutional and financial feasibility and constraints of nutrition programmes in coordination and collaboration with government and other partners.
4. Provides technical support to government and non-government organizations at the national, regional and provincial levels in the planning, development and implementation stages of the health and nutrition programmes. Plans, organizes and conducts training and orientation activities for government personnel and beneficiaries, for the purpose of capacity building at the central and regional levels, and expansion of coverage of services.
5. Undertakes field visits in order to monitor and evaluate nutrition programme performance/implementation; identifies problems and proposes remedial action; identifies alternative courses of action, to accelerate/improve efficiency of programme delivery.
6. Develops the work-plan for the nutrition programme and monitors compliance to ensure objectives and targets are met and achieved. Guides and supervises professional and support staff. Ensures their training needs are met, and provides on-the-job training.
7. Coordinates with Operations/Supply staff on supply and non- supply assistance activities. Approves disbursement of funds ensuring proper utilization and accountability, and those activities are within established plans of action, and the programme budget allotments.
8. Coordinates activities and exchanges information/ideas with other programmes, to contribute to achievement of overall country programme objectives. Participates in establishing effective monitoring, information and reporting systems, and in the development of communication materials and strategies to support advocacy and community participation.
9. Participates in the preparation of all programme reports for management, Board, donors, budget reviews, programme analysis, annual reports, etc.
Qualifications of Successful Candidate
Advanced university degree in nutrition and specialized training in public health, covering clinical, biochemical and public health aspects. A background in Economics and Social Development advantageous.*
Eight years of relevant work experience at the national and international levels in programme planning, management, monitoring, and evaluation, in the field of 'Keeping Children Alive'.
Experience/familiarity in emergency programmes management experience is an advantage.
Fluency in English is required. Knowledge of another UN language.
*A first level university degree with a relevant combination of academic qualifications and experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
Competencies of Successful Candidate
Communicates effectively to varied audiences, including during formal public speaking.
Able to work effectively in a multi-cultural environment.
Sets high standards for quality of work and consistently achieves project goals.
Has good leadership and supervisory skills; co-ordinates group activities, ensuring that roles within the team are clear.
Translates strategic direction into plans and objectives.
Analyzes and integrates diverse and complex quantitative and qualitative data from a wide range of sources.
Quickly builds rapport with individuals and groups; maintains an effective network of individuals across organizational departments.
Identifies urgent and potentially difficult decisions and acts on them promptly; initiates and generates team- and department-wide activities.
Demonstrates, applies and shares expert technical knowledge across the organization.
How to Apply: