Job Title: Program Manager, Care and Treatment Initiatives, Uganda
Makerere University Walter Reed Project (MUWRP)
JOB SUMMARY: Incumbent will be located at the Makerere University/Walter Reed Program (MUWRP) in Kampala and will be responsible for direct supervision of the President’s Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief supported Walter Reed Army Institute of Research (WRAIR) activities in Uganda and coordinating with
MUWRP program personnel, other US government, international and host government agencies as it relates to the need/goals of care and treatment and research activities supported in Uganda by the DoD/US Military HIV Research Program (MHRP).
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES: 80% OF TIME
1. Work with local Ugandan partners and the USMHRP HQ team in developing and implementing a comprehensive HIV/AIDS care and treatment program in line with USG and Uganda MOH strategies.
2. Assure integration of these care and treatment programs with MUWRP’s research activities and ensure one clear message regarding MUWRP efforts is provided to the communities involved.
3. Coordinate development/expansion of community support programs in Uganda and integration of these programs into care and treatment activities.
4. Serve as the MUWRP/HJF representative on the USG Emergency Plan coordinating committee in Uganda to ensure continued collaborative and coordinated efforts among the USG agencies in the planning and implementation of activities in support of the ﬁ ve-year strategic plan for Uganda in support of the President’s Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief.
5. Support COP planning and tasks to ensure targets and budgets are in line with program areas.
6. Monitor targets and budgets for program areas
7. Solicit funding through identiﬁ ed mechanisms to ensure continued participation in the President’s Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief and from other sources as needed to supportthe DoD associated programs in East Africa.
8. Provide senior level supervisory guidance to personnel located at ﬁ eld sites in Uganda in collaboration with the MUWRP Executive committee participating in -MUWRP activities under the President’s Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief, ensuring timely and effective implementation of activities, gathering of indicator data for monitoring and evaluation of program and proper reporting of this information to both the in country USG committee and MHRP headquarters.
9. Prepares funding documents, written reports, and manuscripts for submission to scientiﬁ c journals.
10. Identify training needs and foster a productive team environment.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Knowledge about HIV disease, transmission and prevention based upon training or experience
• Knowledge and experience regarding public health provision
• Program management experience and training in international settings
• Program monitoring and evaluation
• Knowledge of applicable complex scientiﬁ c procedures and techniques; excellent communication skills; ability to troubleshoot technical procedures; ability to work independently and supervise others
Minimum Education/Training Requirements:
MPH and/or PhD in related scientiﬁ discipline
7years related program experience and 3 to 5 years of work with
Physical Capabilities: Incumbent will be expected to relocate to
Kampala, Uganda and travel to research/ﬁ eld locations sponsored
by the MHRP in Uganda
Supervisory Responsibilities/Controls: Incumbent will work
under the supervision of the Executive Management Committee.
Work Environment: Ofﬁ ce/ﬁ eld environment; may require
working evenings and weekends; may involve working with bio-hazardous materials
How to Apply
The Makerere University Walter Reed Project (MUWRP) is
a non- government, non- proﬁ t HIV research program that
was established in 2002 as a result of a memorandum of
understanding between Makerere University and The Henry M.
Jackson foundation for Advancement of Military Medicine Inc.
of USA (HJF). The primary purpose of MUWRP is to develop,
evaluate and provide interventions to mitigate disease threats of
public health importance to Uganda. Activities include; vaccine
development and building of vaccine testing capability in Uganda,
conducting of epidemiological and basic research and provision
of HIV Treatment, care and support and surveillance of inﬂ uenza
and other emerging infections.
Interested candidates should send their applications and Resume
with 3 referees to:
The Human Resource Administrator
Makerere University Walter Reed Project
Plot 42 Nakasero Road.
P.O.Box 16524, Kampala.
Only shortlisted candidates will be conducted.
Deadline: 29th Oct 2012