Job Title: Regional Security Technician; FP-6 FSN-8
Number: 068/2013 Date: 08/2/2013
OPEN TO: All Qualified Candidates
POSITION: Regional Security Technician; FP-6 FSN-8
WORK HOURS: Full-time; 40 hours/week
ALL ORDINARILY RESIDENT (OR) APPLICANTS MUST HAVE THE REQUIRED WORK AND/OR RESIDENCY PERMITS TO BE ELIGIBLE FOR CONSIDERATION.
"The American Embassy is seeking an individual for the position of Regional Security Technician."
BASIC FUNCTION OF POSITION
Under the direct supervision of the Officer in Charge/Technical Security Officer (OIC/TSO), the incumbent conducts inspections, installations, maintenance and repairs of unclassified technical security equipment and devices. He/she studies and makes recommendations for ways to improve the effectiveness of the security systems at the US Embassy Kampala and on occasion, provides support to other U.S. Government facilities in the AF region.
A copy of the complete position description listing all duties and responsibilities is available on http://kampala.usembassy.gov/job_opportunites.html
NOTE: All applicants must address each selection criterion detailed below with specific and comprehensive information supporting each item.
1. Education required: Completion of a two year diploma in electronics/electrical/mechanical engineering is required.
2. Work Experience required: Four years of hands-on field experience in major repairs and installation of electrical and heavy-duty mechanical equipment, reading and interpreting architectural and engineering (A&E) design drawings; and experience with closed circuit television, public address systems and/or vehicle arrest systems is required.
3. Language required: Level III English ability (good working knowledge written, spoken and reading) and level II Luganda, Lusoga, Lunyankole, Teso or Swahili ability (rudimentary speaking, written and reading) is required.
4. Knowledge required: Should have good knowledge and/or experience in installing, troubleshooting and repairing electrical and electronic systems; hydraulic and/or pneumatic equipment; in working with different types of steel, concrete and masonry wall construction, anchors and bolts. Awareness of general responsibilities of Mission agencies/offices outside of TSO section.
5. Skills and Abilities required: Ability to read blueprints and schematic diagrams of electrical and mechanical drawings; ability to use electronic test equipment; should be able to rectify problems associated with security equipment independently; ability to use MS Excel, Access and Word software and Internet search engines and ability to use special lifting equipment and/or coordination of unskilled laborers. The nature of work may require working from a ladder, in crawl spaces, above ceiling areas and other non-office areas of a building structure. Must have a valid driver’s license and be able to drive a manual transmission car. Must be able to frequent travel, may travel alone or as part of a regional security team on a quarterly basis or as needed.
After an initial application screening, applicants will be invited to a testing process that may include a written examination and oral interviews. The selected candidate must pass pre-employment medical and security investigations before beginning work. The initial appointment period is one year, subject to renewal.
Normally, candidates for employment are hired at the first step of the designated pay grade. In some instances, candidates may be hired at a higher step when exceptional qualifications or previous governmental service and pay level so warrant. The Human Resources Officer will make the decision with the concurrence of the employing section.
ADDITIONAL SELECTION CRITERIA
1. Management will consider nepotism/conflict of interest, budget, and visa status in determining successful candidacy.
2. Current employees serving a probationary period are not eligible to apply.
3. Current Ordinarily Resident employees with an Overall Summary Rating of Needs Improvement or Unsatisfactory on their most recent Employee Performance Report are not eligible to apply.
4. Currently employed US Citizen EFMs who hold a Family Member Appointment (FMA) are ineligible to apply for advertised positions within the first 90 calendar days of their appointment.
5. Currently employed NORs hired under a Personal Services Agreement (PSA) are ineligible to apply for advertised positions within the first 90 calendar days of their employment unless currently hired into a position with a When Actually Employed (WAE) work schedule.
HOW TO APPLY
Interested candidates for this position must submit the following for consideration of the application:
1. Universal Application for Employment as a Locally Employed Staff or Family Member (DS-174).
2. A current resume or curriculum vitae.
3. Candidates who claim US Veterans preference must provide a copy of their Form DD-214 with their application. Candidates who claim conditional US Veterans preference must submit documentation confirming eligibility for a conditional preference in hiring with their application.
4. Any other documentation (e.g. essays, transcripts/certificates, awards) that addresses the qualification requirements of the position as listed above.
SUBMIT APPLICATION TO
Human Resources Office
By email at KampalaHR@state.gov.
ONLY ELECTRONIC SUBMISSIONS WILL BE ACCEPTED AND ONLY SHORTLISTED CANDIDATES WILL BE CONTACTED.
Clearly indicate the position applied for in the subject area of the email submission.
Please use standard file types such as Microsoft Word (.doc) and Adobe Acrobat (.pdf) and please send all documents in one file attachment.