Application Deadline : 19-Nov-10
Additional Category Poverty Reduction
Type of Contract : SSA
Job title : International Consultant
Languages Required :
Starting Date :
(date when the selected candidate is expected to start) 01-Dec-2010
Duration of Initial Contract : 30 working days
Expected Duration of Assignment :
Duties and Responsibilities
Purpose of Assignment and Scope of Work
The consultants are to prepare one project document with interventions that contribute to the increased productivity, competitiveness and employment through the development of functional and inclusive markets in selected sub-sectors. The preparation of the project document will involve identification of UNDPs niche within the component and thus enable the articulation of conceptual and operational linkages of the outcome and output within the component in the development context in general. It will also inform selection of the implementing partner , responsible parties and collaborating partners for delivering on this output. The project document shall describe the strategies for implementing the agreed interventions and how they contribute to the realization of the CPAP output outcome respectively. The project document will be used as a tool for efficient project management and for resource mobilization. The project document will be written according to the UNDP project document template to be shared with the consultants and shall reflect the following aspects:
* Continuity of project activities over the four (4)year period of the CPAP
* The creation of synergies with other programme interventions
* The integration of cross cutting issues and human rights based approach to programming
* A clear monitoring and evaluation strategy;
* A clear partnership / collaboration strategy
* The proposed composition of the project board responsible for management and assurance
* The accountability and risk management requirements
* A clear exit strategy
To ensure project quality, the project document preparation will build on lessons learnt during the implementation of CPAP 2006-2010, stakeholder participation and partnership building; managing for results and reporting.
Objectives of the Assignment
* To identify programmatic interventions that will contribute to the achievement of the Functional and inclusive markets in selected sub sectors in place.
* To establish the baseline information for outcome area on productivity, competitiveness and employment in selected sub sectors
* To undertake the initial identification and assessment of the project risks
* To prepare one project document for the delivery of the selected strategic interventions
* Attend detailed briefing on the UNDP programming facilitated by the UNDP programme team.
* Review critical documentation/literature related to the CPAP and UNDP /UN programming.
* Present inception report and discussion guide for agreement with UNDP prior to consultations.
* Undertake consultations with key stakeholders from UNDP, UN agencies, Government, NGOs, development partners and private sector to ascertain priorities areas, on going interventions etc
* Identify areas of interventions that aim at achieving the stated output 2.2.2, identify target beneficiaries and establish the baselines.
* Articulate conceptual linkages of the output and outcome while addressing cross cutting issues like gender
* Identify opportunities for resource mobilization and partnership.
* Make presentation of key findings and recommendations to stakeholders' validation workshop and incorporate relevant comments into the draft project document.
* Make presentation at internal pre-Project Appraisal Committee(PAC) meeting with UNDP Senior Management and staff to review the revised draft project document
* Make presentation of final draft project document at PAC meeting with selected key stakeholders including Government, proposed IPs and collaborating partners and incorporate comments for the finalization of project document.
Key Deliverables and Schedule
* Inception report detailing the understanding/ interpretation of the TORs; the methodology of carrying out the assignment; work plan and implementation schedule as agreed upon with UNDP team.
* Draft project document
* Presentations to stakeholder validation, Pre-PAC and PAC meetings
* Final project document
The assignment is expected to take 30 working days from the signing of the contract and the consultants will be expected to be available on a full time basis and deliver the outputs as per schedule proposed below:
Outputs and Due dates:
Inception report is due 7 days iafter signing of contract
Presentation of findings to stakeholder validation meeting is due 21 days after signing contract
Draft project document is due 23 days after signing
Presentation of draft project document to pre-PAC meeting is due 25 days after signing
Presentation of final draft of project document to PAC meeting is due 27 days after signing
Final Project document is due 30 days after signing
The consultants will report to the team leader of the Poverty Reduction Unit, who will take the lead in providing technical backstopping; they will work closely with the programme consultants.
At the conclusion of each deliverable, there will be a presentation to the programme team leaders in UNDP for review. The consultants will work under the overall guidance and leadership of the Country Director and Resident Representative.
* Strong analytical skills
* Good communication and writing skills in English.
Personal Competencies (International and national):
* Demonstrates integrity by modeling the UN's values and ethical standards.
* Positive, constructive attitude to work.
* Ability to act professionally and flexibility to engage with government officials, donor representatives, private sector and communities
Required Skills and Experience
The assignment will be a carried out by one international consultant and one national consultant with expertise below:
* Minimum of a Masters degree in Economics, Business, Development Studies or related field
* At least 10 years progressive work experience in area of private sector development, market and value chain development
* Extensive experience in project and programme formulation and management
* A good understanding of the development context of Uganda with experience in post conflict recovery programming
* Experience in policy analysis with a focus on SME development and employment
* Expertise in strategic planning
* Strong leadership and task management competencies
* Excellent analytical and report writing skills in English.
UNDP invites qualified and experienced
international candidates who are not nationals of Uganda to submit their applications for this consultancy.
Candidates should also attach the following documents
* A detailed curriculum vitae
* 2 samples of previous project documents developed
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
Apply by through the link below