Number: 120/2010 Date: 12/29/2010
OPEN TO: Appointment Eligible Family Members (AEFMs) and U.S. Veterans, All Agencies
Job Title: Assistant General Service Officer; FP-6
OPENING DATE: December 29, 2010
CLOSING DATE: January 11, 2011
WORK HOURS: Full-time; 40 hours/week
APPOINTMENT ELIGIBLE FAMILY MEMBERS AND U.S. VETERANS, AS DEFINED BELOW OF U.S. GOVERNMENT EMPLOYEES ASSIGNED TO THE MISSION UNDER THE CHIEF OF MISSION AUTHORITY ARE ELIGIBLE FOR CONSIDERATION.
"The American Embassy is seeking for an individual for the position of Assistant General Service Officer in the GSO Administration Section."
BASIC FUNCTION OF POSITION
Assists the General Services Officer (GSO) in all day-to-day operations and supervision of the LE staff assigned to the GSO section in efficiently running any of the following sections; Property/Supply, Motor pool, Customs & Shipping, and Housing . Reports directly to the GSO and serves as acting GSO in the absence of the General Services Officer.
A copy of the complete position description listing all duties and responsibilities is available on www.kampala.usembassy.gov
NOTE: All applicants must address each selection criterion detailed below with specific and comprehensive information supporting each item.
1. Education required: Completion of two years of college studies is required.
2. Work Experience required: Three years experience as a staff manager/supervisor is required.
3. Language required: Level IV English ability (good working knowledge) is required.
4. Knowledge required: Must have a good working knowledge of Department of State or associated agency General Services and Facilities Maintenance regulations and procedures in general and detailed knowledge of those instructions and procedures which apply to the assigned tasks.
6. Skills and Abilities: Must be tactful, yet effective, in dealing with American personnel relative to inventories of household furnishings and equipment. Must have advanced typing and computer skills, in particular those dealing with spreadsheets and data organization. Must have the ability to learn complex USG database systems, such as WEBPass.
When equally qualified, US Citizen Eligible Family Members (USEFMs) and U.S. Veterans are given preference. Therefore, it is essential that the candidate specifically address the required qualifications above in the application.
ADDITIONAL SELECTION CRITERIA
1. Management will consider nepotism/conflict of interest, budget, and visa status in determining successful candidacy.
2. Current employees serving a probationary period are not eligible to apply.
3. Current Ordinarily Resident employees with an Overall Summary Rating of Needs Improvement or Unsatisfactory on their most recent Employee Performance Report are not eligible to apply.
4. Currently employed US Citizen EFMs who hold a Family Member Appointment (FMA) are ineligible to apply for advertised positions within the first 90 calendar days of their appointment.
5. Currently employed NORs hired under a Personal Services Agreement (PSA) are ineligible to apply for advertised positions within the first 90 calendar days of their employment unless currently hired into a position with a When Actually Employed (WAE) work schedule.
HOW TO APPLY
Interested candidates for this position must submit the following for consideration of the application:
1. Universal Application for Employment as a Locally Employed Staff or Family Member (DS-174); or
2. A combination of both; i.e. Sections 1-24 of the UAE along with a listing of the applicants work experience attached as a separate sheet; or
3. A current resume or curriculum vitae that provides the same information found on the UAE (see section 3A below for more information); plus
4. Candidates who claim US Veterans preference must provide a copy of their Form DD-214 with their application. Candidates who claim conditional US Veterans preference must submit documentation confirming eligibility for a conditional preference in hiring with their application.
5. Any other documentation (e.g. essays, certificates, awards) that addresses the qualification requirements of the position as listed above.
3A. If an applicant is submitting a resume or curriculum vitae, s/he must provide the following information equal to what is found on the UAE.
Failure to do so will result in an incomplete application.
A. Position Title
B. Position Grade
C. Vacancy Announcement Number (if known)
D. Dates Available for work
E. First, Middle, & Last Names as well as any other names used
F. Date and Place of Birth
G. Current Address, Day, Evening, and Cell phone numbers
H. U.S. Citizenship Status (Yes or No) & status of permanent U.S. Resident (Yes or No; If yes, provide number)
I. U.S. Social Security Number and/or Identification No.
J. Eligibility to work in the country (Yes or No)
K. Special Accommodations the Mission needs to provide
L. If applying for position that includes driving a U.S. Government vehicle, Driver's License Class/Type
M. Days available to work
N. List any relatives or members of your household that work for the U.S. Government (include their name, Relationship, & Agency, Position, Location)
O. U.S. Eligible Family Member and Veterans Hiring Preference
Q. License, Skills, Training, Membership, & Recognition
R. Language Skills
S. Work Experience
SUBMIT APPLICATION TO
Human Resources Office
Plot 1577 Nsambya Road
P. O. Box 7007, Kampala
Or by e-mail: