Company: Kawempe Youth Centre
Job Location: Kampala
Application deadline: 15th Jan 2011
Location: Kampala - Uganda
Employment Type: Internship, Volunteer
Description of teaching positions
The positions available offer a unique opportunity for college students and adults interested in education or teaching in Ugandan schools. Over the course of stay, Volunteers work directly with primary school pupils under the supervision of class teachers and in close coordination with the implementing organization. They may assist in teaching core classes as well as take on the responsibility of leading and assisting in activities during their volunteer period.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Volunteers work closely with assigned master teachers or other Volunteers in the daily planning and implementing of lesson plans in morning academic core classes. This may involve assisting small groups of students, correcting homework, occasionally leading lessons, preparing materials, and other teaching related duties.
• Volunteers assist and lead in afternoon activities and sports offerings. This includes planning, leading and securing materials needed to conduct these activities.
• Using resources that may be provided by the implementing organization, the partner school or developed by the volunteers, they may carry out activities indirectly related to classroom work but related to youth (general) education. These include; Adolescent Sexual Reproductive Health (ASRH), hygiene, etc; that could be carried out either within partner schools or at the centre.
However, the jobs or duties described may vary or be amended from time to time without changing the level of responsibility associated with the post.
Term seasons (months)
The average duration of a school term in Uganda is ten (10) weeks, with three terms every academic year. Volunteers are expected to volunteer in partner schools for between 8 and 12 weeks (1 term) or longer.
Skills / Qualifications Required: Skills
• Demonstrate excellent communication skills, written and oral.
• An enthusiastic and motivational approach
• Have commitment and a conscientious approach to work
• Have a responsive and helpful manner
• Have the self confidence and self reliance to undertake the role
• Be flexible and capable of using initiative, tact and discretion
• Be able to work equally well under a degree of independence as well as part of a team and with drive to work with an NGO in the developing world.
Minimum Education Level required: Bachelor
Contact Name: Timothy Walsh
Contact Phone: +256783682400