Job Title: Project Assistant
U.S. Mission, Uganda
OPEN TO: All Qualified Candidates
POSITION: Project Assistant; FP- 6; FSN-8
WORK HOURS: Full-time; 40 hours/week
ALL ORDINARILY RESIDENT (OR) APPLICANTS MUST HAVE THE REQUIRED WORK AND/OR RESIDENCY PERMITS TO BE ELIGIBLE FOR CONSIDERATION.
The American Embassy is seeking an individual for the position of Project Assistant.
BASIC FUNCTION OF POSITION
Serves as an Assistant to the U.S. Treasury Resident Advisor to the Ministry of Finance, Planning and Economic Development (MFPED) in Kampala Uganda and will be responsible for the following; conduct research and provide analyzed data collected from various sources with regards to debt, budget, policies and other regulation; prepare working drafts and briefing papers on complex and legal material; position is responsible for the day to day administrative aspect of maintaining files, reference materials and establishing and maintaining communication links with private and public contacts.
A copy of the complete position description listing all duties and responsibilities is available on http://kampala.usembassy.gov/job_opportunites.html
NOTE: All applicants must address each selection criterion detailed below with specific and comprehensive information supporting each item.
1. Education required: Completion of a bachelor's degree in economics, commerce, finance, mathematics, statistics, accounting, business studies or business administration is required.
2. Work Experience required: Four years progressive experience in a major public or private financial institution with responsibilities that include research and analysis of debt management, banking or finance issues; scheduling and coordination of public contact activities (meetings seminars, training and conferences); and demonstrated proficiency in verbal, written communication and presentation skills of complex detailed financial information material. One additional year of experience working with government officials, management and staff within the MFPED, the Bank of Uganda (BOU), and/or local offices of the international finance community (World Bank, ADB, IMF, USAID, EU) and/or commercial banks is also required.
3. Language required: Level IV English ability (fluent written, spoken and reading) and level III ability in any two of the following languages is required; Luganda, Lusoga, Kiswahili, Lunyankole, Acholi, and Alur/Acholi.
4. Knowledge required: Understanding of lending and investment concepts related to the banking or financial sector is required. Must have knowledge in contracting, law and policy related to debt and lending. Ability to comprehend complex legal, technical, financial and economic documents. Must be conversant in finance and accounting principles including NPV, IRR and good working knowledge of legal and financial analysis processes.
5. Skills and Abilities required: Must have good analytical skills as well as proficiency in managing administrative procedures; Strong interpersonal skills with ability to work within structure of government agency; Incumbent must have excellent computer skills in MS Word, MS Excel, Microsoft Power Point, internet research, basic statistical software and MS Outlook is required. Ability to communicate effectively with all officials in US Treasury, MFPED and other international agencies is required.
When equally qualified, US Citizen Eligible Family Members (USEFMs) and U.S. Veterans are given preference. Therefore, it is essential that the candidate specifically address the required qualifications above in the application.
ADDITIONAL SELECTION CRITERIA
1. Management will consider nepotism/conflict of interest, budget, and visa status in determining successful candidacy.
2. Current employees serving a probationary period are not eligible to apply.
3. Current Ordinarily Resident employees with an Overall Summary Rating of Needs Improvement or Unsatisfactory on their most recent Employee Performance Report are not eligible to apply.
4. Currently employed US Citizen EFMs who hold a Family Member Appointment (FMA) are ineligible to apply for advertised positions within the first 90 calendar days of their appointment.
5. Currently employed NORs hired under a Personal Services Agreement (PSA) are ineligible to apply for advertised positions within the first 90 calendar days of their employment unless currently hired into a position with a When Actually Employed (WAE) work schedule.
HOW TO APPLY
Interested candidates for this position must submit the following for consideration of the application:
1. Universal Application for Employment as a Locally Employed Staff or Family Member (DS-174).
2. A current resume or curriculum vitae.
3. Candidates who claim US Veterans preference must provide a copy of their Form DD-214 with their application. Candidates who claim conditional US Veterans preference must submit documentation confirming eligibility for a conditional preference in hiring with their application.
4. Any other documentation (e.g. essays, transcripts/certificates, awards) that addresses the qualification requirements of the position as listed above.
SUBMIT APPLICATION TO
Human Resources Office
By email at KampalaHR@state.gov.
ONLY ELECTRONIC SUBMISSIONS WILL BE ACCEPTED AND ONLY SHORTLISTED CANDIDATES WILL BE CONTACTED.
Clearly indicate the position applied for in the subject area of the email submission.
Please use standard file types such as Microsoft Word (.doc) and Adobe Acrobat (.pdf) and please send all documents in one file attachment.