Job Title: Welder; FP-AA FSN-4
U. S. Mission, Uganda
Number: 015/2013 Date: 03/18/2013
OPEN TO: All Qualified Candidates
POSITION: Welder; FP-AA FSN-4
WORK HOURS: Full-time; 40 hours/week
ALL ORDINARILY RESIDENT (OR) APPLICANTS MUST HAVE THE REQUIRED WORK AND/OR RESIDENCY PERMITS TO BE ELIGIBLE FOR CONSIDERATION.
"The American Embassy is seeking an individual for the position of Welder."
BASIC FUNCTION OF POSITION
Assigned to Facilities Maintenance Section, responsible for general metal craft fabrications, welding, and repairs of leased or government owned properties.
A copy of the complete position description listing all duties and responsibilities is available on http://kampala.usembassy.gov/job_opportunites.html
NOTE: All applicants must address each selection criterion detailed below with specific and comprehensive information supporting each item.
1. Education required: Completion of secondary school (both O’ and A’ levels) is required. Completion of vocational training or apprenticeship recognized as producing journeyman mechanical skills in welding and fabrication trade is required.
2. Work Experience required: Three years of journeyman mechanical production skills experience in welding and fabrication trade is required.
3. Language required: Level II English ability (limited knowledge in both written and spoken) is required.
4. Knowledge required: Must have full journeyman knowledge of established practices and procedures of the welding trade.
5. Skills and Abilities required: Must be able to use all tools of the trade, be able to independently interact with American staff and must have a valid Ugandan driver’s license.
After an initial application screening, applicants will be invited to a testing process that may include a written examination and oral interviews. The selected candidate must pass pre-employment medical and security investigations before beginning work. The initial appointment period is one year, subject to renewal.
Normally, candidates for employment are hired at the first step of the designated pay grade. In some instances, candidates may be hired at a higher step when exceptional qualifications or previous governmental service and pay level so warrant. The Human Resources Officer will make the decision with the concurrence of the employing section.
ADDITIONAL SELECTION CRITERIA
1. Management will consider nepotism/conflict of interest, budget, and visa status in determining successful candidacy.
2. Current employees serving a probationary period are not eligible to apply.
3. Current Ordinarily Resident employees with an Overall Summary Rating of Needs Improvement or Unsatisfactory on their most recent Employee Performance Report are not eligible to apply.
4. Currently employed US Citizen EFMs who hold a Family Member Appointment (FMA) are ineligible to apply for advertised positions within the first 90 calendar days of their appointment.
5. Currently employed NORs hired under a Personal Services Agreement (PSA) are ineligible to apply for advertised positions within the first 90 calendar days of their employment unless currently hired into a position with a When Actually Employed (WAE) work schedule.
HOW TO APPLY
Interested candidates for this position must submit the following for consideration of the application:
1. Universal Application for Employment as a Locally Employed Staff or Family Member (DS-174).
2. A current resume or curriculum vitae.
3. Candidates who claim US Veterans preference must provide a copy of their Form DD-214 with their application. Candidates who claim conditional US Veterans preference must submit documentation confirming eligibility for a conditional preference in hiring with their application.
4. Any other documentation (e.g. essays, certificates, awards) that addresses the qualification requirements of the position as listed above.
SUBMIT APPLICATION TO
Human Resources Office
By email at KampalaHR@state.gov.
ONLY ELECTRONIC SUBMISSIONS WILL BE ACCEPTED AND ONLY SHORTLISTED CANDIDATES WILL BE CONTACTED.
Please use standard file types such as Microsoft Word (.doc) and Adobe Acrobat (.pdf) and please send all documents in one file attachment.