U. S. Mission, Uganda
Number: 010/2011 Date: 03/18/2011
OPEN TO: Appointment Eligible Family Members
POSITION/GRADE: Professional Adjudication Specialist (PAS); FP-5
OPENING DATE: March 18, 2011
CLOSING DATE: March 31, 2011
WORK HOURS: Full-time; 40 hours/week
Must be able to obtain a SECRET security clearance.
APPOINTMENT ELIGIBLE FAMILY MEMBERS OF U.S. GOVERNMENT EMPLOYEES ASSIGNED TO THE MISSION UNDER THE CHIEF OF MISSION AUTHORITY, AS DEFINED BELOW, AND U.S. VETERANS ARE ELIGIBLE FOR CONSIDERATION.
The American Embassy is seeking an individual for the position of Professional Adjudication Specialist in the Consular Section.
BASIC FUNCTION OF POSITION
The incumbent serves as a Professional Adjudication Specialist, providing visa (and/or passport services dependent on post need) services under the supervision of the consular section chief or sub-unit chief. The incumbent conducts interviews with visa (and/or passport) applicants and makes appropriate decisions with regard to eligibility. Other pre- and or post- interview processing responsibilities may be required as needed, to include biometric collection.
NOTE: All applicants must address each selection criteria detailed below with specific and comprehensive information supporting each item:
a. Completion of high school and attendance at an accredited college or university for at least one semester, earning at least 11 credit hours as part of a degree program is required..
b. Successful completion of FSI’s PC 530, the Basic Consular Course, within the past five years, or employment as a designated consular associate for at least 18 consecutive months within the past five years is required.
2. Work Experience: See 1(b) above.
3. English Language: Level IV Speaking/Reading/Writing English is required for appointment to the position. Applicants will be required to demonstrate written language proficiency by completing a writing sample, proctored by an official US direct hire. A passing score on the Expanded Professional Associate Program writing assessment OR placement on the Foreign Service generalists register will also be accepted.
4. Possession of at least a secret level clearance is required in order to be appointed to the position. However, application for a PAS position can be considered in advance of receipt of the security clearance. An interim clearance is sufficient while the clearance application is being considered.
ADDITIONAL SELECTION CRITERIA
1. Currently employed Appointment Eligible Family Members hired under a Family Member Appointment (FMA) are ineligible to apply for advertised positions within the first 90 calendar days of their employment.
2. Post HR conducts the initial eligibility and qualifications review of applications. HR forwards only the applications meeting the qualifications listed above to the Bureau of Consular Affairs Executive Office for consideration.
3. Management also considers nepotism/conflict of interest in determining a successful candidacy.
4. CA/EX reviews all qualified applications, including writing sample submissions, and when feasible, incorporates comments from applicant interviews with post consular section chief and/or CA/EX staff. CA/EX makes the final hiring decision and relays the decision to post HRO. Post HR requests the FMA appointment to the regional Family Member Employment Coordinator.
Interested applicants for this position must submit the following to the post HR Office or the application will not be considered:
1. Application for US Federal Employment (DS-0174)
2. Candidates who claim US veteran’s preference must provide a copy of their form DD-214 with their application.
3. Evidence of PC-530 completion or requisite employment as a designated consular associate.
4. Any other documentation (FSI language testing scores, certificates, awards, copies of degrees earned) that address the qualifications listed above.
SUBMIT APPLICATION TO:
Human Resources Office
Plot 1577 Nsambya Road
P. O. Box 7007, Kampala
Or by e-mail: