[ii] Scope of the
The holder of this post is responsible for providing technical support and
specialist advice on the design and safety of earthworks, the suitability of road
pavement materials, and the design and application of bituminous surfacings.
The performance of the post holder will be reflected in the quality and safety of
works and the introduction of design standards for capital and maintenance
works that minimize whole life costs.
Reports to the Director, Planning.
Supervises subordinate staff as allocated.
Liaises with other staff in the Directorate of Planning.
Liaises with Project Managers in the Projects Directorate.
Liaises with MoWT’s Construction Standards Department.
Liaises with the Registry and Library Officer.
Maintains working links with Universities and other local and international
[iv) Key duties &
1. To contribute to the Authority’s design manuals, standard drawings and
specifications in respect to Geotechnical Aspects
2. To advise on relevant geotechnical publications to be held in the
Authority’s technical library.
3. To manage the Authority’s Materials Testing and Research Facilities.
4. To investigates historical and current slope and road pavement failures
and ensure comprehensive recording and dissemination of findings.
5. To provide soils and materials testing recommendations for incorporation
into all Terms of Reference for road studies and design consultancies.
6. To review soils and materials aspects of all feasibility studies and road
7. To recommend testing regimes to be followed on all major projects and
8. To monitor major road projects on an ad hoc basis to ensure that the
supervising consultant is adequately overseeing on site and off site testing
regimes and taking remedial action where necessary.
9. To monitor the performance of maintenance contractors and their
consultants on an ad hoc basis to ensure that standards for maintenance
works are being met.
10. In conjunction with MoWT’s Construction Standards Department to
identify and pilot innovative specifications or techniques offering the
potential of better value for money.
11. To prepare regular and ad hoc reports for the Director, Planning as
12. To perform such other related duties as may be assigned by the Director
from time to time.
The applicant must be a Registered or Chartered Engineer with a degree in
civil engineering or equivalent and a post graduate degree in pavement
engineering, soil mechanics or geotechnics. At least ten (10) years in road
pavement and earthworks design and materials testing experience is required.
Experience in a research post would be an added advantage.
Grade SG 3
Salaries and Benefits:
Appointments will be made on very attractive, negotiable monthly salary packages plus
a range of benefits.
Conditions for Applying:
Applications accompanied by:
(i) A capability statement detailing the applicant’s general qualifications, adequacy
for the post and illustrated personal experience;
(ii) Copies of testimonials (the applicant must endorse on each copy of the
(iii) Detailed curriculum vitae duly signed by the applicant on each and every
page and showing previous positions held;
(iv) Current salary;
(v) Three referees; and
(vi) Postal addresses and day telephone contacts of applicant should be submitted
The Secretary of the Board of Directors
Uganda National Roads Authority (UNRA)
Plot 5, Lourdel Road, Nakasero
P.O. Box 28487
To reach the UNRA registry not later than 24 February 2012 at 17.00 hours