Job Title: Education Programme Specialist Capacity Building for EFA in Uganda, Kampala
Closing Date: Tuesday, 04 December 2012
Phone: (256) 414 25 97 13; (256) 772 52 94 98 (office cell phone)
Fax: (256) 414 25 84 05;
Download PDF (52.4 KB)
UNESCO Vacancy Announcement
Project Appointment UNESCO Multi-Sectoral Office in Nairobi Education Programme Specialist Capacity Building for EFA in Uganda Post level: P-3 Duty Station : Kampala, Uganda Duration: One year with possibility of extension Closing Date: Tuesday, 4th December 2012
The Capacity Development for EFA (CapEFA) programme focuses on teacher education, aiming to contribute to the development of a balanced and comprehensive education sector through the strengthening of teacher education towards achievement of the national and EFA Goals by 2015. Within the framework of the CapEFA, UNESCO is recruiting an international education specialist with the following duties and tasks.
II. Duties and requirements Under the overall authority of the Assistant Director-General for Education, the overall supervision of the Director of the UNESCO Multi-Sectoral Office in Nairobi, the technical supervision of the Education Programme Specialist in Nairobi, and in close collaboration with Uganda National Commission for UNESCO, Ministry of Education and Sports as well as the Education Programme Unit of the Nairobi Office, the incumbent will be responsible for programme activities related to the objectives of the CapEFA. S/He shall lead the overall planning, implementation, monitoring, evaluation and documentation of the programme. Specifically, s/he will undertake the following tasks and responsibilities:
* Based on the CapEFA programme framework for 2012-2013 and the agreed Programme Document and Work Plan, act as the Coordinator for the overall implementation of CapEFA Uganda, in particular activities during the planning stage including advocacy, dialogue and consensus-building, overseeing the capacity assessment exercise and formulation of the capacity development action plan;
* Develop detailed work plans and be responsible for the planning, execution and evaluation of the CapEFA Uganda programme, through close collaboration with the national and international counterparts.
* Monitor work plans and prepare budget revisions as necessary, ensuring that activity-based and financial revisions to work plans are in line with the overall CapEFA Programme priorities and that the required changes are communicated regularly to the technical oversight team at UNESCO HQ; Monitor, report on and oversee the evaluation of the programme activities related to CapEFA Uganda, including the regular 8 month reporting duties, mid-term and final evaluations.
* Assist the Head of Office in maintaining momentum for the CapEFA Programme and its implementation strategies in line with the country and sector developments, donor consultations and recommendations.
* Supervise the budget, financial and administrative matters and preparation of documents concerning the CapEFA Uganda programme, reporting status and raising potential issues to the Head of Office and UNESCO HQ.
* Provide technical assistance to the Ministry of General Education and Instruction for the implementation of the CapEFA Uganda programme, as well as technical advice in the overall development of the Non-Formal Education sector in Uganda. Attend meetings and participate in technical and working groups and meetings related to the CapEFA in Uganda, as and when delegated by the Head of the Office.
* Identify potential local partners within the NGOs and private sector and civil society for participation in the CapEFA planning stage as well as the execution of the capacity development action plan. Expand and strengthen partnership with the Ministry of General Education and Instruction, other line ministries, institutes/universities and NGOs for the implementation of the CapEFA Uganda and for the strengthening and networking of the non-formal education in Uganda. Identify prospective donors and actively participate in such meetings.
* Promote in-house cooperation across the UNESCO Education Sector and collaborate with UNESCO Headquarters, UNESCO Multi-sectoral Regoinal Office for East Africa, UNESCO Institute of Lifelong Learning, as well as with other project partners, for effective coordination, planning, implementation and monitoring the Programme, as well as to support and strengthen UNESCO's position with intellectual and academic institutions.
* Prepare briefs as necessary on the CapEFA Programme for the supporting donors and for internal use, based on country programme support and regional reports. Ensure timely availability and access to all key programme documents (global, regional, country) for government and technical partners, as well as for uploading onto the UNESCO intranet and CapEFA internet site.
* Analyze, edit and compile other documentation and prepare background/briefing papers that could be of significance to CapEFA Uganda, particularly with a view to making strategic decisions and adding technical value and input to the programme activities. Participate in the trainings as required, and supervise the staff under the CapEFA Uganda programme. Review the completion of the assignments by staff under CapEFA Uganda according to their job description.
* Carry out any other tasks that may be assigned by the Director of the UNESCO Multi-Sectoral Office in Nairobi.
The incumbent must possess the following qualifications and experience:
* An advanced university degree (Masters or equivalent) in education, preferably education planning, basic education, teacher education
* At least four to seven years of relevant work experience, both at the national and international levels, in the field of education, with at least two years in the non-formal education and literacy
* Experience in working in development context, in particular Africa, would be an asset.
* Experience in managing people, team working building, supervision and management of education programmes
* Good computer and other IT skills
* Excellent knowledge of English.
The knowledge and competencies required include:
* Extensive professional knowledge and experience, holistic understanding of formal and non-formal education
* Profound knowledge and expertise in non-formal education and literacy
* Strong sensitivity and adaptability in cultural, gender, religion, race and nationality
* Experience and understanding of the country and region and a clear understanding of development work
* Extensive experience in programme planning, monitoring and evaluation
* Strong strategic and analytical skills
* Excellent organizational, networking, partnership building and interpersonal skills
* Excellent communication skills, including writing and oral expression
The post requires maturity, excellent interpersonal skills, ability to multi-task, prioritize and deliver to deadline, as well as work under pressure.
IV. Type of Contract and Timeline
This Post is expected to start immediately, with an initial duration of one year and possibility of another year extension subject to resource availability and performance, on a Project Contract equivalent to P3.
V. Benefits and Entitlements
UNESCO's salaries are calculated in US dollars and exempt from income tax. They consist of a basic salary and a post adjustment which reflects the cost of living in a particular duty station and exchange rates. For this post the annual remuneration starts around 80,662 US$ with dependents and around 75.386 US$ without dependents. Other benefits such as sick leave, family allowance, home travel, education grant for dependent children, pension plan and medical insurance
How to apply:
Candidates are kindly requested to send their applications including the UNESCO CV Application Form (downloadable at http://www.unesco.org/new/en/education/about-us/how-we-work/job-vacancies) with a covering letter as well as the names and addresses of 3 referees by Tuesday, 4th December 2012 (17:00 East Africa Standard Time) to email@example.com.
Deadline: 4th Dec 2012