Job Title: Secretary; FP-7; FSN-7
OPENING DATE: February 11, 2011
CLOSING DATE: February 24, 2011
WORK HOURS: Full-time; 40 hours/week
ALL ORDINARILY RESIDENT (OR) APPLICANTS MUST HAVE THE REQUIRED WORK AND/OR RESIDENCY PERMITS TO BE ELIGIBLE FOR CONSIDERATION.
"The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) is an international public health agency engaged in HIV prevention and care programs and research activities in Uganda. CDC offers excellent career opportunities for professional growth, training, and collaboration with other health professionals. The main CDC offices are located at the Uganda Virus Research Institute (UVRI) in Entebbe. CDC is an agency of the United States Mission in Uganda."
The Centers for Diseases Control and Prevention is seeking for one individual for the position of Secretary in the Office of the Director.
BASIC FUNCTION OF POSITION
Incumbent serves as Secretary and carries out general secretarial duties related to the Office of the Director / Operations Branch. Incumbent will perform other duties as assigned.
A copy of the complete position description listing all duties and responsibilities is available on http://kampala.usembassy.gov
NOTE: All applicants must address each selection criterion detailed below with specific and comprehensive information supporting each item.
1. Education required: Completion of secondary school (both 'O' and 'A' Level) and a diploma in any of the following: Secretarial Skills, Office Management, Administration, Business Management, Records Management, Data Management is required.
2. Work Experience: Two years’ secretarial experience is required.
3. Language Requirement: Level IV (good working knowledge) in written and spoken English ability is required.
4. Knowledge: General knowledge of secretarial and computer work and a high degree of accuracy; conversant with Uganda Government rules and regulations governing protocol issues, and office management procedures is required.
5. Skills and Abilities: Excellent typing and computer skills, ability to draft correspondence, handle conflicting demands, establish and maintain files in an orderly fashion; should have methodical work habits; deal tactfully yet effectively with CDC and Embassy employees as well as outside contacts are required.
When equally qualified, US Citizen Eligible Family Members (USEFMs) and U.S. Veterans are given preference. Therefore, it is essential that the candidate specifically address the required qualifications above in the application.
ADDITIONAL SELECTION CRITERIA
1. Management will consider nepotism/conflict of interest, budget, and visa status in determining successful candidacy.
2. Current employees serving a probationary period are not eligible to apply.
3. Current Ordinarily Resident employees with an Overall Summary Rating of Needs Improvement or Unsatisfactory on their most recent Employee Performance Report are not eligible to apply.
4. Currently employed US Citizen EFMs who hold a Family Member Appointment (FMA) are ineligible to apply for advertised positions within the first 90 calendar days of their appointment.
5. Currently employed NORs hired under a Personal Services Agreement (PSA) are ineligible to apply for advertised positions within the first 90 calendar days of their employment unless currently hired into a position with a When Actually Employed (WAE) work schedule.
HOW TO APPLY
Interested candidates for this position must submit the following for consideration of the application:
1. Universal Application for Employment as a Locally Employed Staff or Family Member (DS-174); or
2. A combination of both; i.e. Sections 1-24 of the UAE along with a listing of the applicants work experience attached as a separate sheet; or
3. A current resume or curriculum vitae that provides the same information found on the UAE (see section 3A below for more information); plus
4. Candidates who claim US Veterans preference must provide a copy of their Form DD-214 with their application. Candidates who claim conditional US Veterans preference must submit documentation confirming eligibility for a conditional preference in hiring with their application.
5. Any other documentation (e.g. essays, certificates, awards) that addresses the qualification requirements of the position as listed above.
3A. If an applicant is submitting a resume or curriculum vitae, s/he must provide the following information equal to what is found on the UAE.
Failure to do so will result in an incomplete application.
A. Position Title
B. Position Grade
C. Vacancy Announcement Number (if known)
D. Dates Available for work
E. First, Middle, & Last Names as well as any other names used
F. Date and Place of Birth
G. Current Address, Day, Evening, and Cell phone numbers
H. U.S. Citizenship Status (Yes or No) & status of permanent U.S. Resident (Yes or No; If yes, provide number)
I. U.S. Social Security Number and/or Identification No.
J. Eligibility to work in the country (Yes or No)
K. Special Accommodations the Mission needs to provide
L. If applying for position that includes driving a U.S. Government vehicle, Driver's License Class/Type
M. Days available to work
N. List any relatives or members of your household that work for the U.S. Government (include their name, Relationship, & Agency, Position, Location)
O. U.S. Eligible Family Member and Veterans Hiring Preference
Q. License, Skills, Training, Membership, & Recognition
R. Language Skills
S. Work Experience
SUBMIT APPLICATION TO
Human Resources Office
Plot 1577 Nsambya Road
P. O. Box 7007, Kampala
Or by e-mail: