Institute for Social Transformation (IST)
The Institute for Social Transformation (IST) is a non- profit organization established in Uganda in 2006 to promote use of the Training for Transformation (TfT) methodology in English speaking countries of Eastern Africa. Its main office is based in Ntinda, Plot 390 Kaduyu Close, Kiwatule. The Institute aims to develop:
• A new quality of community leadership in the 7 English speaking countries of Eastern Africa (Uganda, Somalia, Sudan, Ethiopia, Eritrea, Kenya and Tanzania and for specific purposes, Rwanda).
• The skills, insights and abilities of teams from NGOs and community organizations to empower local self-reliant community development efforts
• The confidence and skills of local programme leaders to work with and challenge their governments to ensure macro and micro-economic policies that are to the advantage of the marginalized.
The Institute seeks to hire an Accountant to provide professional accounting and financial management.
In the promotion of its duties, the Institute seeks the services of a bright and self motivated Accountant with integrity and initiative. The staff member will inter alia perform the following duties:
• Responsible for production of IST financial reports on a monthly basis and as per different donor requirements
• Work with Auditors while conducting end of year audits
• Reconcile all bank statements and provide monitoring support to the Chief Financial Officer/Treasurer
• Prepare budgets and ensure all budgets are well monitored by the respective budget holders
• Responsible for the implementation and circulation of all office policies and procedures.
• Responsible to the Executive Director to provide assistance in the grant management process.
• Maintain data bases of partners, participants, consultants and possible venues
• Keep accurate records and books of account of all expenditure of the Institute
Chronologically file all payment vouchers and receipts
• Manage and order supplies within the budget guidelines of the organization
• Procure services and equipment as required for administration
• Perform all secretarial duties as required by the Institute including setting up an electronic filing system
• Perform any other duties as assigned from time to time from the office of the Executive Director.
Applicant should be a person of integrity, hard working and able to work under minimum supervision. Strong computer literacy, positive attitude, and are also prerequisites.
• ACCA/CPA certificate level, or Honors degree in Commerce/ Administration (Accounting)
• At least 2 years experience in financial reporting in a busy NGO
• Ability to use Microsoft Excel/ word and any accounting software
• Up to date knowledge of current financial practices
• Ability to write and speak English well
• Ability to work with minimum supervision
Salary: - USD/month
Deadline: Not later than 20th February 2011
How to Apply
Applications should be submitted to: firstname.lastname@example.org