Location : Kampala, UGANDA
Application Deadline : 23-Mar-11
Additional Category Management
Type of Contract : FTA Local
Post Level : NO-C
Languages Required :
Starting Date :
(date when the selected candidate is expected to start) 02-May-2011
Duration of Initial Contract : One Year (Renewable)
Expected Duration of Assignment : One Year (Renewable)
Refer a Friend Apply Now
Under the guidance of the Country Director (CD), the Team Leader Governance acts as a manager of the Governance Team and advisor to Senior Management on all aspects of Governance and related fields, manages the Governance programme portfolio and oversees the Millennium Development Villages and supervises the UNCDF country Programme. The main role is to manage the Governance programme including continued monitoring of their implementation. The Team Leader leads the Governance team in strategic planning and identifies new programme areas while ensuring consistency with UNDAF/CPD/CPAP priorities and creative responses to emerging challenges and opportunities.
The Team Leader heads and supervises the Governance team and works in close collaboration with the Management Support, Operations team in the CO, Programme staff in other UN Agencies, UNDP HQs staff and Government officials, technical advisors and experts, multi-lateral and bi-lateral donors and civil society to successfully implement the UNDP programme.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of Key Functions:
* Ensuring the strategic direction of UNDP programme
* Management of the CO programme and supervision of the Programme team
* Strategic partnerships and support to resource mobilization
* Provision of top quality policy advice services to the Government and facilitation of knowledge building and management
1. As a member of the CO management team, ensures the strategic direction of UNDP programme focusing on achievement of the following results:
* Thorough analysis of the political, social and economic situation in the country and collaborative preparation/revision of CCA, UNDAF, CPD, CPAP, AWP and other documents.
* Identification of strategic programme areas of cooperation.
* Operationalization of UNDAF/ CPD in collaboration with the main partners and other UN Agencies. Identification of possibilities for joint programming.
* Analysis and presentation of UNDP policies and their implementation in the CO.
* CO business processes mapping and establishment of internal Standard Operating Procedures in Results Management, control of the workflows in the Programme Unit.
2. Ensures effective management of the CO programme and supervision of the Programme team focusing on quality control of the full cycle of programming from formulation to implementation achieving the following results:
* Effective application of RBM tools, establishment of management targets (BSC) and monitoring achievement of results.
* Design and formulation of CO programme within the area of responsibility, translating UNDP priorities into local interventions. Coordination of programme implementation with the executing agencies.
* Strategic oversight of planning, budgeting, implementing and monitoring of the programme, tracking use of financial resources in accordance with UNDP rules and regulations. ARR(P) performs the function of Manager Level 2 in Atlas for development projects transactions approval.
* Effective monitoring, measuring the impact of the CO programme and evaluation. Constant monitoring and analysis of the programme environment, timely readjustment of programme.
* Follow up on audit recommendations. All exceptions are timely reported.
* Aggregate reports are regularly prepared on activities, outputs and outcomes. Preparation of donor reports.
* Organization of cost-recovery system for the services provided by the CO to projects in close collaboration with Operations Manager.
3. Establishes and maintains strategic partnerships and supports the resource mobilization in cooperation with the Management Support and Business Development Team focusing on achievement of the following results:
* Implementation of the CO partnerships and resources mobilization strategies to achieve programme outcomes.
* Creation and coordination of partnerships with the UN Agencies, IFI’s, government institutions, bi-lateral and multi-lateral donors, private sector, civil society etc.
* Determination of programmatic areas of cooperation, based on strategic goals of UNDP, country needs and donors’ priorities.
* Analysis and research of information on donors, preparation of substantive briefs on possible areas of cooperation, identification of opportunities for cost-sharing.
4. Ensures provision of top quality advisory services and facilitation of knowledge building and management focusing on achievement of the following results:
* Identification of sources of information related to policy-driven issues. Identification and synthesis of best practices and lessons learned directly linked to programme country policy goals.
* Coordination of development of policies and institutions that will address the country problems and needs in collaboration with the Government and other strategic partners.
* Establishment of advocacy networks at national level and linked to international networks. Relevant, high-impact advocacy campaigns are implemented with key partners.
* Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
* Organization of trainings for the operations/ projects staff on programme.
Impact of Results
The key results have an impact on the overall success of the country programme and reaching UNDAF/ CPD goals. In particular, the key results have an impact on the design, operation and programming of activities, creation of strategic partnerships as well as reaching resource mobilization targets.
* Demonstrates integrity by modeling the UN’s values and ethical standards
* Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UNDP
* Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
Knowledge Management and Learning:
* Promotes knowledge management in UNDP and a learning environment in the office through leadership and personal example.
* Actively works towards continuing personal learning and development in one or more Practice Areas, acts on learning plan and applies newly acquired skills.
Development and Operational Effectiveness:
* Ability to lead strategic planning, results-based management and reporting.
* Ability to lead formulation, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of development programmes and projects, mobilize resources.
* Ability to formulate and manage budgets, manage contributions and investments, manage transactions, conduct financial analysis, reporting and cost-recovery.
* Good knowledge of the Results Management Guide and Toolkit.
* Good ICT skills, knowledge of Atlas.
* Ability to implement new systems and affect staff behavioral/ attitudinal change.
Management and Leadership:
* Builds strong relationships with clients, focuses on impact and result for the client and responds positively to feedback.
* Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude.
* Demonstrates good oral and written communication skills.
* Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities.
Required Skills and Experience
* Master’s Degree or equivalent in Business Administration, Public Administration, Economics, Political Sciences, Social Sciences or related field.
* Prince2 Training and Certification, RMG
* 5 years of relevant experience at the national or international level in providing management advisory services, hands-on experience in design, monitoring and evaluation of development projects and establishing inter-relationships among international organization and national governments.
* Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages, experience in handling of web based management systems.
* Fluency in written and spoken English.
* Fluency in the national language of the duty station.
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.