Reporting to: Deputy Secretary General/ Head of Programs and Operations
Duty Station: Kampala
Contract Duration: Four Years;
Grade: Scale UR 2-1
Key duties and responsibilities:
• Spearheads the planning, coordinating, monitoring and reviewing the Disaster Management (DM) programs in order to guarantee quality in service delivery;
• Takes leadership in developing the overall strategy, policy and DM program;
• Integrates Red Cross principles and practices, GoU; and UN agencies in the service delivery;
• Develops systems and processes for the delivery of; DM programs;
• Liaises with other departments in developing monitoring indicators;
• Monitors and evaluates the DM program plan to ensure its consistency with the overall URCS Strategic; direction;
•Documents best practices, with particular reference to; Reel Cross Principles;
• Supports the development of strategies and ensures integration of Red Cross Principles in DM
• Identifies learning and development needs of the department and liaises closely with the Human
• Resources Department on delivery of these trainings;
• Participates in the recruitment and induction of staff in accordance to the URCS laid down procedures;
• Coaches and mentors program staff and resource persons engaged in capacity building;
• Supports, supervises and reviews performance management of staff supervised;
• Prepares quarterly departmental plans, budgets and reports in accordance with URCS guidelines and presents the same for incorporation into the overall organization plan and budget;
• As a budget holder for the department approves expenditure and application of funds on DM projects and verifies accountabilities in line with URCS policy;
• Supports and manages program staff in accordance; to the existing policies and procedures;
• Institutes and maintains an open internal; communication system, consistent with the URCS values.
Post Graduate qualifications in Social Work and Social Administration, Disaster Management, Community Development, Sociology, Social Sciences, Project Planning and Management or any equivalent desirable. Preferred experience in a humanitarian NGO for a minimum of five years.
Ability to network effectively with partners, donors and others to identify and respond to opportunities in Disaster Management.
Skills of political analysis, sensitivity and diplomacy. Competencies in strategic management, leadership, mentorship and problem solving.
A team player; with excellent communication, negotiation and interpersonal skills plus. Computer literate.
Apply for this job
Applications with copies of Curriculum Vitae, names of three professional referees, copies of academic certifications, day time telephone contact should be submitted to:
The Secretary General,
Uganda Red Cross Society,
P.O. Box 494, Lumumba Avenue,
Plot 28/30, Kampala.
Closing date for receipt of the applications is Friday 1¬st October 2010 at 5,00pm.
Uganda Red Cross Society (URCS) is an equal opportunities employer mindful of gender balance in its establishment