Job Title: Research Officer
Reporting Relationships: The Research Officer reports to the Project Coordinator
The Research Officer will manage Research activities for ACCLAIM project focused on Increasing Access, Retention, and Follow-up of PMTCT services at the Community Level, taking place in Uganda’s. He will assist with the design, implementation and monitoring and evaluation of the Research activities in Uganda.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Ensure all local project activities are in alignment with project requirements.
• Participate in the design and implementation of baseline assessments, formative research, efficacy assessments and process evaluations; and ensure high quality data collection
• Participate in OR protocol development and oversee the national IRB submission for research activities
• Facilitate the development of community advisory group to support design and implementation of the operations research activities for the project
• Ensure project compliance to all research requirements, particularly protection of human subjects
• Provides logistical support for OR training activities, implementation of research protocols, study procedures and data collection
• Oversee data collection activities to ensure data standards are being met throughout the project
• Oversee maintenance of the research database.
• Participate in compiling and submission of monthly operational, quarterly, mid-year and annual reports on ACCLAIM project.
• Supports the Project Coordinator in implemeting ACCLAIM project research activities by managing data collection, entry and transmission, adherence to research protocols including ethical standards.
• Serves as a resource for Program Implementation and Management on issues related to research and evaluation.
• Provides the Country Director with technical guidance on issues related to operational research design, implementation and evaluation.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Good knowledge and understanding of HIV/AIDS issues in the health sector in Uganda
• Good understanding of research methodologies, research ethics
• Strong written and verbal skills
• Strong analytical skills
• Computer literacy including use of statistical packages
• Ability to effectively manage others and work as part of a team
• Ability and willingness to undertake frequent in country travel
• Fluency in English required, knowledge of local languages preferred
Qualifications and working Experience:
• A bachelor’s degree in medicine, public health, environmental health, community nursing or a social sciences related field such as Sociology, Gender Studies or Anthropology. A master’s degree is an added advantage.
• 3-5 years proven experience working with operations research
• 3-5 years of proven experience working with health programs in Africa
• Ability to travel in-country up to 50% of the time
• Ability to work as needed on evenings and weekends Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric AIDS
How to Apply:
Foundation is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified individuals are welcome to apply. Please send cover letter and CV to:
The Country Director/COP
Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric AIDS Foundation (EGPAF)
Plot 18A Kyadondo Road, Nakasero
P.O. Box 21127,Kampala, Uganda
EGPAF will only contact short-listed applicants. Deadline for
submission is 28th September 2012 at 2:00pm
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Deadline: 28th Sept 2012