Closing Date: Friday, 02 March 2012
George Street, Kampala
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda Duration and Type of Appointment: One Year, Temporary Appointment
The Global Polio Eradication Initiative (GPEI) is the largest public health initiative in history and has achieved 99% reduction of polio cases since the World Health Assembly declared eradication a global health goal in 1988. As a key partner in the effort to eradicate Polio, UNICEF has the lead role in communicating to families and communities about the importance of taking the oral polio vaccine to prevent polio. If you are a creative and experienced communications practitioner, and are interested in applying your skills towards an inspiring, dynamic and results-oriented programme, the world's leading children's rights organization needs your help to eradicate polio by 2012.
* Key Responsibilities
Under the guidance of the supervisor, the post holder will be responsible for the following;
* In collaboration with UNICEF and government programme officers, design and manage/facilitate the implementation of data based communication strategies and plans of action aiming at: (1) behaviour change at individual/household levels; (2) social mobilization of civil society organizations; and (3) increased community participation in EPI and polio eradication programmes.
* Monitor, evaluate and report on EPI and polio eradication activities through country specific and globally established reporting / tracking mechanisms. Disseminate reports and communication research findings to UNICEF regional offices and HQ, ensure exchanges of experience and new methods to government officials, EPI and polio eradication programme staff and other UNICEF partners.
* In collaboration with partners, organize/manage the formative research, development, pre-testing and production of culturally relevant communication materials to ensure effective and efficient programme delivery and behaviour change.
* Develop partnerships with various religious groups , traditional leaders, teachers, artists and other organized groups in the community, as well as civil society organizations, to orient them on country programme goals and to solicit their involvement in the implementation of the country programme.
* Develop training materials and activities to build capacity in participatory and behaviour communication at various government levels, in support of programme sustainability.
* Provide technical support to government counterparts in the development and appropriate use of communication for social development , aimed at both individual behaviour change and collective action. 5. Qualifications:
Education: Advanced university degree in the Social Sciences , Sociology, Anthropology, Psychology, Health Education with emphasis on participatory communication, communication planning, social mobilization, participatory research, training and impact evaluation of communication interventions.
Work Experience: Five years of progressively responsible and relevant professional work experience in the planning and management of social development programmes, including two years in developing countries , with practical experience in the adaptation and application of communication planning processes to specific programmes.
Fluency in English
* Knowledge of current developments the fields of communication theory, motivational psychology, adult learning theory, indigenous media, community organization and participation.
* Training in strategic communication planning, behavior analysis, formative research and evaluation of communication interventions.
* Proven skills in communication, networking, advocacy and negotiations.
* Ability to organize and implement training, including development of curricula and methodologies.
* Ability to express clearly and concisely ideas and concepts in written and oral form.
* Computer skills, including internet navigation, and various office applications.
How to apply:
If you are a training expert in communications and social mobilization and are passionate about making a lasting difference for children, UNICEF Uganda would like to hear from you. To apply, send a letter of interest, P11/CV to email@example.com .
Applications must be received by 2 March 2012.