Job Title: Accountant
MAKERERE UNIVERSITY WALTER REED PROJECT
JOB SUMMARY: Incumbent will be located at the Makerere University/Walter Reed Program
(MUWRP) in Kampala. The Accountant will provide overall support to the Finance section in
the areas of accountancy. This position requires keen attention to detail and high levels of conﬁ dentiality and integrity.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Assign budget, funder and project codes to approved payment requests.
2. Preparation of Bank reconciliations
3. Ensuring that accounts are accurately monitored and recorded
4. Maintaining ﬁ nancial records which accurately record the project’s incoming and outgoing ﬁ nances
5. Assist in dealing with project’s payroll by processing wages and employee expense claims.
6. Completing and ﬁ lling monthly statutory deductions (PAYE, NSSF and WHT)
7. Participate in the preparation of monthly management/ ﬁ nancial accounts
8. Carrying out banking duties as a third party agent including making cash deposits, cash
withdrawals, picking bank statements and other related tasks.
9. Oversee accountability of works advances following procedures in the accounting manual
10. Carrying out ﬁ eld visits to ensure project resources are put to the right use.
11. Updating the lab Income schedule monthly.
12. Participate in the preparation of Audit ﬁ les / Audit processes
13. Other reasonable duties assigned by the supervisor and / or Head of Department
Key Performance Indicators
1. Bank reconciliation is carried out on a monthly basis and MUST be completed by the 5th day following the month under review.
2. Attaching correct ledger account, funders and projects
3. Carrying out routine reconciliation of all accounts receivable and payables
4. Ensure staff salaries are effected as per policy
# 137.1 of the Human resource manual
5. Payroll deductions are prepared and submitted by the 15th of the month
6. Monthly management accounts must be completed by the 5th day of the month
following the month under review and forwarded to the Accountant for further review.
7. Accountability of works advances is done within the speciﬁ ed time as per accounting manual guidelines.
Required Education and Knowledge
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Level III CPA
- Microsoft Dynamics NAV
- 3 Years Work Experience
SUPERVISORY CONTROL: The Incumbent
will work under the supervision of the Senior
PHYSICAL CAPABILITIES: Ability to
professionally communicate in writing and
verbally or other means as deemed appropriate.
The Incumbent will work at MUWRP Plot 42
Nakasero Road and should be able to travel to
the Project’s Collaborative Sites.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates should send their Applications and Resume with 3 referees to:
The Human Resource Administrator
Makerere University Walter Reed Project
Plot 42 Nakasero Road.
P.O. Box 16524, Kampala.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Deadline: 29th Oct 2012