Job Title: DRIVER - (UGANDAN NATIONALS ONLY)
Location : Kampala, UGANDA
Application Deadline : 23-Mar-11
Type of Contract : FTA Local
Post Level : GS-2
Languages Required :
Starting Date :
(date when the selected candidate is expected to start) 02-May-2011
Duration of Initial Contract : One Year (Renewable)
Expected Duration of Assignment : One Year (Renewable)
Refer a Friend Apply Now
The incumbent works under the guidance and supervision of the Administrative Assistant (Transports and Logistics), as well as the direct supervisor. The Driver provides services to the Operations and Programme staff in the country office, consultants/experts, and UN staff on mission. The Driver provides reliable and safe driving services ensuring high accuracy of work and demonstrates a client-oriented approach. The Driver exhibits a high sense of responsibility, courtesy, tact, and the ability to work with people of different national and cultural backgrounds.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of Key Functions:
Summary of Responsibilties:
* Provision of reliable and secure driving services;
* Proper use of vehicle;
* Day-to-day maintenance of the assigned vehicle;
* Availability of documents/ supplies.
Ensures provision of reliable and secure driving services by a) driving office vehicles for the transport of authorized personnel and delivery and collection of mail, documents and other items and b) meeting official personnel and visitors at the airport, visa and customs formalities arrangement when required.
Ensures cost-savings through proper use of vehicle through accurate maintenance of daily vehicle logs, provision of inputs to preparation of the vehicle maintenance plans and reports.
Ensures proper day-to-day maintenance of the assigned vehicle through timely minor repairs, arrangements for major repairs, timely changes of oil, check of tires, brakes, car washing, etc.
Ensures availability of all the required documents/supplies including vehicle insurance, vehicle logs, office directory, map of the city/country, first aid kit, necessary spare parts.
Ensures that all immediate actions required by rules and regulations are taken in case of involvement in accidents.
Impact of Results:
* The key results have an impact on the accurate, safe and timely execution of the country office services.
* Demonstrates commitment to UNDP’s mission, vision and values;
* Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability.
Functional Competencies: Knowledge Management and Learning:
* Shares knowledge and experience;
* Provides helpful feedback and advice to others in the office.
Development and Operational Effectiveness:
* Demonstrates excellent knowledge of driving rules and regulations and skills in minor vehicle repair;
* Demonstrates excellent knowledge of protocol;
* Demonstrates excellent knowledge of security issues
Leadership and Self-Management:
* Focuses on result for the client;
* Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude;
* Remains calm, in control and good humored even under pressure;
* Responds positively to critical feedback and differing points of views.
Required Skills and Experience
* Secondary Education.
* Valid Driver’s license.
* 2 years’ work experience as a driver;
* Safe driving record;
* Knowledge of driving rules and regulations and skills in minor vehicle repair.
* Fluency in English
* Fluency in the language of the duty station.
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.