Job Title: Base Manager, Gulu, Uganda
Closing Date: Sunday, 15 January 2012
Position: Base Manager Contract duration: 6 months, renewable Location: Gulu, Uganda Starting Date January 2012
I. Background on ACTED
ACTED is an independent international, private, non-partisan and non-profit organization that operates according to principles of strict neutrality, political and religious impartiality, and non discrimination.
ACTED was created in 1993 to support populations affected by the conflict in Afghanistan. Based in Paris, France, ACTED now operates in 30 countries worldwide, with over 200 international and 4000 national staff. ACTED has a 100 million € budget for over 350 projects spanning 8 sectors of intervention; including emergency relief, food security, health promotion, economic development, education & training, microfinance, local governance & institutional support, and cultural promotion. For more information, please visit our website at www.acted.org.
II. Country Profile
Capital Office : Kampala National Staff : 77 Areas : 2 (Northern Uganda, Karamoja) On-going programmes : 13 Budget : 2.9 M
ACTED has been active in Uganda since May of 2007, both in the northern region and Karamoja. In the North, ACTED supports the early recovery process with a specific focus on the needs of returning populations displaced by years of conflict. It also expands access, retention, equity and quality of primary education. In Karamoja, the focus is enhanced food security and resilience to disasters, especially droughts, as well as improving the primary education sector. In 2010, ACTED began laying the foundations for long term economic development by strengthening livelihoods, building community infrastructure, increasing access to markets, and focusing on disaster preparedness and drought early warning. In 2011, ACTED expands its disaster preparedness interventions, responds to early signs of a drought in North Pokot, consolidates DEWS, continues publishing timely and useful drought bulletins, pilots a SMS-based health reporting system in Karamoja, while continuing interventions focused on increasing market access, and capacity building of farmers and pastoralists to strengthen livelihoods. In addition to these long-term development activities, ACTED will maintain an emergency response capacity and will use its experienced and recognized expertise to advocate sustainable cross-border solutions in Karamoja and Pokot, as well as in Northern Uganda.
III. Position Profile
The Base Manager is responsible for implementing ACTED's mandate in the posting and in charge of managing the activities for his/her zone.
Roles and Responsibilities:
* Directly oversee the execution of projects Northern Uganda Foundation, including: - Ensure project activities and targets are being achieved within the set timeframes; - Ensure implementation strategies are being followed; - Ensure that best practices in terms of Cash for Work are implemented - Give feedback to ACTED management on progress, challenges and lessons learnt related to the areas of intervention and activities; - Assure up-to-date data is maintained on all activities and progress, as well as for documentation purposes; - Organize/Chair weekly project meetings; - Participate in relevant project related coordination meetings at district, area and country levels. - Coordinate with AMEU for all Monitoring and evaluation exercises, and ensure staff cooperate with the AMEU.
- Undertake regular field visits to ascertain work quality and work progress. FLAT:
* Supervision of ACTED Northern Uganda's FLAT team.
* Responsible for ensuring compliance with ACTED's and donors financial, logistics, HR and administrative procedures.
* Preparation of budget follow up and other financial control tools in close coordination with the Country Finance Manager.
* Ensure with the FLAT team under his/her supervision that all FLAT reporting is submitted as per ACTED's internal deadlines.
* Monitor security situation in the region and oversee implementation of ACTED security procedures
* Organize/Chair regular/weekly FLAT team meetings
ï‚§ Facilitate program development, through conceptualization, design, proposal and program initiation;
* Participate in the elaboration of project proposals
* Support the reporting department in the drafting of donor reports ï‚§ Liaison with all external stakeholders in Northern Uganda: donors, partners, the government, including local authorities, and communities; ï‚§ Chair ACTED weekly meetings at area level to discuss progress and challenges; ï‚§ Internal reporting to Country Coordination.
ï‚§ Master Level education in a relevant field such as International Relations or Development ï‚§ Project management experience (management, planning, staff development and training skills) in development programmes ï‚§ 2-3 years previous work experience in a relevant position ï‚§ Proven capabilities in leadership and management required ï‚§ Excellent skills in written and spoken English ï‚§ Strong negotiation and interpersonal skills, and flexibility in cultural and organizational terms ï‚§ Ability to work well and punctually under pressure
ï‚§ Salary defined by the ACTED salary grid; educational level, expertise, hardship, security, and performance are considered for pay bonus ï‚§ Additional monthly living allowance 300$ ï‚§ Free food and lodging provided at the organisation's guesthouse/or housing allowance (depending on contract length and country of assignment) ï‚§ Transportation costs covered, including additional return ticket + luggage allowance ï‚§ Provision of medical, life, and repatriation insurance + retirement package
How to apply:
VI. Submission of applications:
Please send, in English, your cover letter, CV, and three references to email@example.com
Ref : BM/UG/RW For more information, visit us at http://www.acted.org
Deadline: 15th January 2012