Job title: Monitoring & Evaluation Specialist-Community Fever Management
Company: Malaria Consortium
Closing date: 18 Jan 2011
Kampala, Uganda or Maputo, Mozambique
Malaria Consortium is an international organization working in Africa and Asia as well as globally on communicable disease control. Malaria Consortium manages a large number of large communicable disease projects in countries across the two regions. These projects range from national level policy support to direct implementation of control programmes for malaria, tuberculosis, diarrhoeal diseases and neglected tropical diseases. Malaria Consortium is establishing a project of community fever case management (specifically malaria, pneumonia and diarrhoea) in Uganda, Southern Sudan, Mozambique and Zambia. The project will be implemented over a period of three years and includes a comprehensive component for monitoring and evaluation (M&E) which includes household surveys and routine data collection.
The major purpose of this position is to lead and coordinate the M&E component of the project including to organise and supervise data collection both routine and survey, which will be used to monitor and evaluate project activities, outcomes and impact, and conduct associated analysis, reporting and dissemination tasks.
Key roles and responsibilities
- Based on the approved M&E plan lead the implementation of the M&E component with a focus on mortality and morbidity estimates.
- Coordinate and contribute to the design of surveys, development and field testing of survey tools and development and implementation of sample design as required.
- In collaboration with the M&E officers in each project country, assist to identify suitable staff for survey implementation, organize and conduct their training, guide and supervise their work
- Oversee the development of implementation plans and budgets for survey activities and preparation on the ground through sensitization activities at district, sub-county and community levels
- Technically supervise survey implementation and ensure high data quality
- Lead and coordinate data collection, management, analysis and reporting
- Contribute to the design, adaptation, and roll-out of routine data collection tools
- Supervise M&E officers in each country to ensure consistency of M&E activities and their implementation in accordance with work plan and timelines
- Provide regular reports and updates to the CIDA ICCM Regional Programme Coordinator and Malaria Consortium M&E Director on all M&E related aspects of the programme as required
- Provide technical support to and build technical capacity of country-level M&E officers to implement M&E components, both routine and survey
- Support and facilitate country-level liaison with the respective district/county health teams to ensure their involvement and continuous flow of information
- Ensure adequate systems for the collection of routine health information from Community Health Workers, health facilities and district/state/provincial entities
- Contribute to the development and implementation of Operational Research activities as required in close coordination with the CIDA Programme Coordinator.
- Participate in relevant meetings presenting results and experiences of the project
- As part of the Malaria Consortium team in general and the M&E team in particular take part in relevant meetings and staff trainings
Line managed by the CIDA ICCM Regional Programme Coordinator, technical supervision by Malaria Consortium Director for M&E
Up to 40% travel within the 4 implementation countries of Uganda, Southern Sudan, Zambia and Mozambique.
Skills and experience
- Postgraduate degree in epidemiology, public health or related discipline
- Minimum of 4 years experience working in public health in developing countries within government, an international organization or research institution
- Experience in communicable disease control/malaria control
- Significant direct experience in survey implementation
- Significant experience and training in M&E designs, tools and methodologies
- Excellent writing and presentation skills
- Significant experience in data management and analysis using standard data management and analysis software (EpiData, Excel, Access, Stata)
- Familiarity with GPS and mapping software
How to apply
Please send cover letter outlining how you meet the person specification along with your CV to Human Resources at HR.Recruitment@malariaconsortium.org
We appreciate your application however, only short listed candidates will be contacted.
Reference Code: RW_8CSM6P-51