Job Title: Programme Manager (Two positions): ProgrammeManager-Staple Crops and ProgrammeManager-High Value Non-Staple Crops
The two ProgrammeManagers report to the Deputy Executive Director and will be responsible for leading and managing the establishment of ASARECA’s regional
research portfolio, up scaling and out scaling of technologies and innovations, building NARS capacity for research, extension and education in the programme areas. These roles involve developing the program strategy and identifying the thematic and strategic
research priority areas, fundraising, providing programme leadership in projects and other program activities, implementation, mobilising and building strategic alliances and partnerships to enable ASARECA achieve its goals and objectives.
• Develop the programme strategic plan and set priorities for the programme in line with ASARECA’s strategic goals and objectives;
• To lead in upscaling and outscaling of technologies and innovations;
• Formulate operational plan, mid-term plans and annual work plans and required budgets based on the identified priorities and strategies;
• Develop and drive implementation of scientific standards and processes to assure high quality outputs and achievement of targeted impact;
• Ensure that the programme research portfolio and activities are enhanced through developing research calls, and organising evaluation of submitted
concept notes and providing leadership for proposals development and capacity building;
• Facilitate and encourage members of the winning team or partners to understand ASARECA’s requirements
for processing fund requisitions and accountabilities, procurements to ensure effective, efficient and timely implementation of funded projects;
• Identify capacity building needs, develop and implement a strategy to build capacity of the various stakeholders for IAR4D through organising group trainings (group courses, farmers and other
stakeholders’ trainings) and post graduate training;
• Manage research contracts with stakeholders through negotiations with winning teams, preparation of research grants and sub-grant agreements;
• Provide intellectual leadership in the implementation of collaborative research projects to ensure quality and relevance of the research, organise monitoring
and evaluation missions to ensure that the programme delivers against ASARECA’s goals;
• Manage strategic alliances, partnerships and linkages and ensure strong teams in implementation of the projects;
• Identify constraints within the programme and develop the terms of reference to source relevant consultants competitively in conjunction with the procurement and finance departments;
• Manage staff issues, staff performance, identify and ensure monthly planning of activities for administrative staff in the programme area;
• Provide effective guidance, coaching and evaluation of staff to assist them in developing their skills and abilities to ensure optimal performance;
• Manage relationships and collaboration with partners, to ensure delivery of services;
• Undertake programme budgetary planning and management. Approve requests for payment on programme activities and monitor project budgets to ensure value for money;
• Ensure proper recruitment of programme support staff in collaboration with the Head of Administration;
• Provide intellectual leadership in dissemination of research findings and other relevant information through appropriate media (publications in scientific journals, conference papers and policy briefs among others);
• Source and manage resources for the implementation of the programme priority project areas; and
• Contribute to the development of ASARECA’s institutional development with regard to the programme.
The successful candidates will have:
• At least 10 years experience as a scientist including a minimum of five years experience in a senior Agricultural Research and Development Management position;
• The jobholder should also have a minimum of five years experience in coordination or carrying out research at regional level;
• Demonstrable experience in Agricultural Innovation
Systems and Value Chain Analysis;
• Strong experience in coordination and implementation of monitoring of agricultural technology dissemination and scaling up and out projects; and
• Good strategic and systems thinking skills, leadership and people management skills.
We are looking for candidates with a PhD qualification in Agriculture, Agricultural Extension/Economics, Natural Resource Management or a related field.
How to Apply:
If you believe you fit the required profile, send your applications in confidence to the address belowby close of business Friday 12 October 2012. Please Indicate the position that you are applying for and send your curriculum vitae (by post or email) containing details of your qualifications, experience, present position, current and expected remuneration as well as copies of professional/ academic certificates. Include day and evening telephone numbers, e-mail address, names and addresses of three references to:
ThePeople and Change Division PricewaterhouseCoopers Limited Communications House, 1 Colville Street P O Box 8053 Kampala, Uganda
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
© 2012 PricewaterhouseCoopers Limited. All rights reserved. In this document, “PwC” refers to PricewaterhouseCoopers Limited which is a member firm of PricewaterhouseCoopers International Limited, each member firm of which is a separate legal entity.
Deadline: 12th Oct 2012