Job Title: Executive Director
Location: Children's AIDS Fund Uganda, Headquarters Office
Supervisor: CAF Uganda Board of Directors
Location: Kampala, Uganda
The Children's AIDS Fund (CAF) was registered with the Republic of Uganda as a local NGO and opened its office 2005. Over the past five years, CAF Uganda has managed two major treatment/care and prevention grants funded by the US Government's President's Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief. In 2011, more than 10,000 patients are provided with anti-retroviral treatment and care at four CAF-managed sites (Kampala, Jinja and Bushenyi). An HIV prevention program providing abstinence and behavior change messages for youth ages 10-24, which ended in December 2010, reached more than 350,000 individuals with HIV prevention and life skills messages. CAF Uganda works with scores of local, district, and national-level collaborative partners to implement programs. In addition, CAF Uganda manages private sector grants providing scholarships and support for HIV impacted children, training sessions for HIV program implementers, parents, and care providers, as well as a host of other related activities.
Under the authority of the organization's Board of Directors, the Executive Director will work full-time in the CAF Uganda Headquarters office (Kampala) and have the following major functions:
1. Direct the organization towards achieving its set goals and objectives as well as implementation of all organization programs and activities.
2. Provide leadership in:
* Creating of strategic, tactical and financial plans;
* Developing and measuring performance to the approved standards;
* Organizational development;
* Liaison to the public, government, affiliated organizations and other stakeholders;
* Development of the organization's staff.
3. Provide the necessary support to enable the organization to successfully meet program goals while effectively fulfilling its governance and financial compliance requirements.
1. Provide leadership in the review of the organizationï¿½s vision, mission and goals and regular development of the corresponding strategies and budgets.
2. Develop goals and corresponding strategies, milestones to measure progress and submit them for Board approval.
3. Review approved plans and budgets as part of the annual planning and budgeting cycle and present recommendations to the Board.
4. Develop and provide appropriate policy recommendations for consideration to the Board.
5. Undertakes the roles and duties of the Secretary to the Organizational Board, which cover but not limited to proposing agenda, draft policies, financial reports, and audits etc.
6. Effectively manage human resources according to authorized policies and procedures that fully conform to current country laws and regulations.
7. Maintain necessary contacts to keep abreast of emerging issues of significance to the organization management and programs, i.e. HIV/AIDS prevention, treatment and care; public policy trends; trends in public and private funding sources.
8. Facilitate constant communication with and solicitation of feedback from all stakeholder constituencies, outside experts and policy makers, and from other interested parties.
9. Initiate internal as well as external financial resource mobilization which includes but not limited to; resource mobilization strategic plan covering; fundraising, marketing, donor development, public relations, communication and proposal writing.
10. Serve as representative for the organization to relevant local, district and national organizations, and the Ministry of Health in Uganda, as well as to international agencies and representatives of other government agencies as appropriate.
11. Perform other duties as prescribed in writing by the Board of Directors
Desirable Skills and Attitude:
1. Demonstrated ability to both lead and build the capabilities of a diverse team, through the organization's core values, mission, goals and objectives.
2. People and communication (written, oral and electronic) skills, both within the organization and to a wide range of different external communities, funders, public policy makers and collaborators.
3. Demonstrated capacity for recruiting and inspiring excellent staff, managing and leading people, a team builder who has experience in scaling up organizations and leading others to new levels of effectiveness and program impact.
4. Knowledge of finance and broad experience with the full range of business functions and systems, including strategic development and planning, budgeting, business analysis, financial reporting, information systems, human resources and marketing.
5. Commitment to professional excellence.
6. Demonstrated knowledge of HIV/AIDS-related global treatment and care, prevention, orphan and vulnerable children, and public policy issues.
7. Demonstrated and effective grant writing expertise especially in HIV/AIDS.
8. Flexible and with ability to perform multiple tasks i.e. can work within an ambiguous, fast-moving environment, while also driving toward clarity and solutions; demonstrated resourcefulness in setting priorities and guiding investment in people and systems.
Qualification and Experience:
1. A basic Medical degree with post degree training in Clinical Specialty or Public Health; qualifications and training in HIV/AIDS required. A Master's in Medicine, Public Health or Management, Health Service Management or MBA, an added advantage.
2. More than 10 years of work experience, at least 5 of them in senior management positions.
3. A minimum of 3 years of experience working with an NGO, preferably in management.
4. Experience with U.S. federal grant program management and financial compliance requirements an added advantage.
The organization engages employees without regard to race, color, religion, creed, age, gender, marital status, or any other such characteristic.
Competitive depending on experience, qualifications, market rate and salary history.
1. Working fulltime for Children's AIDS Fund Uganda.
2. Employee contract
3. Professional references, complete with name, address, phone, and email contact information.
Timing of Appointment
Deadline for submitting application is 23 February 2012 at 4:00 pm.
Interested candidates may apply in two ways:
1. E-mail the following items to: firstname.lastname@example.org. E-mail subject line should read: CAF Uganda Executive Director. Only complete applications will be reviewed.
* Cover Letter
* Salary History
2. Deliver a package containing printed copies of the items above to:
Plot 23 Lumumba Avenue
Telephone: 414 235 666 or 667
Deadline: 23 February 2012