Job Title: Head, Financial Infrastructure Oversight Division
1. JOB REF: FSD2.02
2. JOB TITLE: Head, Financial Infrastructure Oversight Division
3. RANK: Deputy/Assistant Director
4. REPORTS TO: Director Financial Stability
5. SUPERVISES: Head, Continuity and Crisis Preparedness Section;
Head, Financial Infrastructure Risk, Policy Analysis and Systemic Oversight Section
6. JOB PURPOSE: To take overall lead in payment system oversight, monitoring and assessing systemic risks in financial infrastructure, proposing policy action to mitigate risks, and financial crisis preparedness.
7. MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Monitor and Identify financial infrastructure, systems and institutions that are crucial for financial stability.
• Assess systemically important payment instruments, innovations, market places, technology, institutions, and their administration, with a focus on identifying the main vulnerabilities in their functioning, efficiency and liquidity for financial stability.
• Undertake studies and stress testing to determine the pathways/channels through which such risks may pose a threat to overall systemic stability and propose risk mitigation policy measures.
• Evaluate the payment systems in terms of international standards in relation to the BIS Core Principles.
• Develop and update resilience benchmarks and use them to assess the efficiency levels of the payment systems.
• Design and run exercises to test and improve collective crisis response plans for the financial infrastructure in various sectors.
• Assess the quality of the existing financial infrastructure regulatory framework for financial infrastructure and propose measures to strengthen the legal architecture to mitigate systemic risk.
• Develop, deploy and continuously review policies and frameworks that guide strategies for the oversight of financial infrastructure by BoU.
• Coordinate with payment system stakeholders such as the UCC, with the aim of enhancing payment system efficiency and limit risks.
• Assess the sector wide continuity planning and measures to avoid disruptions and propose measures to minimise the effects of any disruptions.
• Take the lead in ensuring overall financial crisis preparedness and management at Bank of Uganda and coordinate with other stakeholders to ensure payment system continuity.
• Work with relevant Departments to evaluate the Bank Resolution Regime and propose policy measures to enhance the resolution framework for supervised financial institutions.
• Responsible for risk analysis and management in the Division.
• Conduct leading-edge longer-term research on financial stability issues pertaining to payment systems policy and implications for financial stability transmission.
• Compile quarterly payment system statistics.
• Compile and issue a Bi-Annual report on payment systems as part of the FSR.
• Manage the performance and motivation of staff in the division
• Lead the preparation of, and monitor the performance of the division operational plans / scorecard.
8. EXPECTED OUTPUTS:
• Bi-Monthly reports on the developments in financial markets and infrastructure and implications for financial stability.
• Quarterly report on payment system statistics.
• Updated strategy to ensure that BoU is prepared to handle a systemic financial crisis.
• Regular policy recommendations on payment system regulatory policies
• Regular recommendations to enhance bank resolution policies.
• Bi-Annual report on Payment systems developments as part of the FSR
• Periodic Financial Infrustructure risk profiles and recommendations
• Periodic Division plans and performance reports
9. PERSON SPECIFICATION:
• First or Upper Second class Bachelor’s degree in one of the following fields: Commerce, Economics, Statistics, Finance, Accounting, Business Administration, Econometrics and Mathematics.
• A Master’s degree in one of the following fields; Economics, Statistics, Finance, Business Administration, Econometrics and Mathematics.
• A PhD qualification and qualification in financial risk analysis are added advantages.
• At least 7 years’ relevant working experience in a related field
• Experience in the following areas would be an added advantage; financial management and analysis, paymeny systems, statistical and financial modelling, risk analysis, strategic management, corporate governance, banking law, international finance, business analysis, and information technology.
• 32 – 39 Years
• Strong leadership qualities to motivate and develop resources
• Strong relationship management skills.
• Strong analytical skills
• A thorough understanding of Microsoft Office Suite (Primarily MS Word and MS Excel)
• Knowledge of financial markets and financial risk.
• Knowlege in payment systems
• Econometrics Packages such as SAS, PcGive, E-Views, Stata, SPSS
• Excellent communication and organisational skills.
How to Apply:
All applications should be forwarded electronically using the iRecruitment
Application on the BoU website, www.bou.or.ug under Careers in BoU. Careers in
BoU is located at the top right menu and bottom right menu. Guidelines on
procedures can be accessed using the hyperlink Bank of Uganda iRecruitment
· Candidates MUST ensure that they indicate the class of their degree(s) in their
· Scanned copies of academic and professional credentials and testimonials MUST
be attached to the applications.
· The maximum size of attachments in the online application is 500Kb. Multiple
documents of sizes smaller than 500Kb can be attached.
Candidates will be required to use the standard BoU Curriculum Vitae format
which is available under Careers in BoU. This Curriculum Vitae form after being
filled can then be uploaded onto iRecruitment Oracle when applying for the
advertised position of your choice. Candidates that use a Curriculum Vitae
Format other than the uploaded format shall be disqualified.
· Please note that only shortlisted and successful candidates will be contacted.
· The appointing authority reserves the right to appoint a new employee to a
higher or lower level than advertised as deemed fit.
To reach NOT later than 5:00pm on August 31, 2012
Deadline: 31st Aug 2012