Job Title: Director Technical Regulation
• Mentor & coach other staff in the department about operations of the department.
• Enforce the compliance regime for licensees and permit holders to ensure reliable electricity supply
• Support Management in developing amendments to policy, legislation and regulations.
• Monitor compliance of Licensees and Permit Holders with regard to the technical parameters set out with licenses, regulations and the Electricity Act;
• Coordinate the process of licensing investors in the Electricity Supply Industry;
• Provide for the procedure for investment programmes by transmission and distribution companies;
• Oversight of the Installation Permits Committee, to vet applicants and enforce compliance for permit holders;
• Develop and enforce performance standards for the generation, transmission and distribution of electricity;
• Encourage the development of uniform electricity industry standards and codes of conduct;
• Prepare industry reports and to gather information from generation, transmission and distribution companies;
• Monitor and enforce environmental health and safety standards for the sector and conducting attendant audits of electricity utilities;
• Monitor Licensee operations to ensure the appropriate quality of supply is being achieved in the industry;
• Promote optimized network growth in the industry through effective coordination of the planning processes with the generation,transmission and distribution entities in the industry;
• Provide assurance to the Authority that
investments made by licensees comply
with the requisite technical standards and
are deployed to maximize benefi ts for the
• Provide effective leadership to the staff in the
department to ensure effective delivery of
services and contribution to the institutional
• Advise the CEO on matters pertaining
to network growth and other installations
to ensure effi cient and reliable supply of
• Represent ERA in designated industry fora
at national regional and international levels.
Educational /Training Requirements:
• An Honors Degree in Electrical Engineering
from a recognized university
• A Maters Degree in a relevant engineering
• Registered Engineer with Uganda Engineers
• Post Graduate training in Project
Management or any other relevant fi eld of
Management would be an added advantage.
• Relevant training in Regulation
• Conversant with the Electricity Supply
Industry in Uganda
Experience and Additional Skills
• Engineering design (including computer
based design techniques).
• Project management skills and a team
• Skilled in Monitoring and Evaluation of
• Conversant with Electricity Sub-sector
Policy of the Government of Uganda
• Technical Innovation skills and good
interpersonal and communication skills.
• At least 5 years working in a technical/
engineering environment of an electricity
generation, transmission, distribution and
sales utility or comparable organization at a
senior management level.
• Should be 35 years and above.
5 year Contract; renewable based on
How to Apply
Applicants should submit by recorded delivery
their applications and enclose copies of:
• Detailed Curriculum Vitae
• Address (including daytime telephone, fax or
e-mail) of the applicants
• Address (including daytime telephone ,fax of
e-mail) of three referees
The Director Financial
& Administrative Services
Electricity Regulatory Authority
Plot 15 Shimoni Road
P.O.Box 10332, Kampala- Uganda
To reach the above address by September
21, 2012 at 5.00pm; Applicants who do not
meet the above minimum requirements need
not to apply.
NB. Members of the Electricity Regulatory
Authority or staff of ERA Secretariat shall not
be accepted as referees.
Canvassing or any attempt at it will lead to
immediate disqualifi cation. ERA is an equal
opportunities employer. If you do not hear from
ERA within 2 months after the closing date,
regard yourself as un successful.
VACANCY - DIRECTOR TECHNICAL REGULATION
ELECTRICITY REGULATORY AUTHORITY
Introduction: The Vision of ERA is “A well developed and sustainable electricity industry that
meets the national and regional demand”. And the Mission is “Regulating the electricity industry for
effi cient and reliable supply at equitable prices.” ERA emphasizes the following core values/ guiding
principles (i) Stakeholder Satisfaction (ii) Professionalism (iii) Integrity, Transparency & Accountability
(iv) Team work (v) Equal & Fair Opportunity (vi) Sustainability.
Station/ Location: Kampala
Department: Technical Regulation
Reports to: Chief Executive Offi cer
Deadline: 21st Sept 2012