Job Title: Protection Officer
Company:Hebrew Immigrant Aid Society (HIAS)
(Important Note – Position open to Ugandan nationals only)
The incumbent will perform the following functions:
- Direct the activities of the HRTK Uganda office relating to the protection of refugees in line with HRTK Standard Operating Procedures;
- Conduct interviews and assesses protection needs and eligibility for durable solutions; perform family composition and best interest determination (BID) interviews;
- Spearhead capacity building activities and conduct training on refugee protection and durable solutions for partners and beneficiaries; Follow up on cases and provide partners and refugees counseling and feedback on the status and processing of individual cases;
- Organize and coordinate refugees clients to attend all external appointments;
- Liaise with and promote relevant entities to meet their responsibilities with regard to the protection of refugees in observance of universally recognized principles of human rights and refugee law;
- Monitor all protection issues and co-ordinate with other entities to ensure the organization is fully informed about the situation of refugees in the region;
- Ensure ongoing maintenance of data and prepare period reports on activities;
- Participate and inform strategic planning and implementation of projects;
- Provides legal support and advise; and
- Performs other duties as required.
Education – University degree in law (LLB) a must, good knowledge of human rights doctrine and/or extensive field experience in refugee law.
Skills and competencies:
- Computer literacy a must: excellent working knowledge with WORD, ACCESS and EXCEL
- Data handling skills and previous exposure to databases an asset.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
No less than 4 years previous job experience, including at least 1 year in a legal position. Experience working in the field of refugee protection and assistance.
Languages: Proficiency in English. Knowledge of Swahili and/French an added advantage
How to apply
Please send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com Indicate Vacancy Notice No HRTK/UG/PO/11/01 in the subject line.
Important: Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Canvassing will lead to immediate disqualification. Late applications will not be accpeted
Deadline: 3rd Feb 2011