Job Title: PROJECT ENGINEER
THE Board of Directors of Uganda National Roads Authority invites application from suitably qualified individuals to fill the position of Project Engineer based on the specifications indicated below:
[ii] Scope of the position: The holder of this post is responsible for processing from feasibility to completion one or more major road, bridge, ferry or other infrastructure projects. Regular external liaison with and negotiation with Government departments and agencies, funding agencies, consultants and contractors is required in addition to day to day liaison with other Authority staff. The performance of the post holder is reflected in the quality of project documentation, the timely delivery of each project stage and the quality and fitness or purpose of the finished works.
[iii] Position relationships
- Reports to a Project Manager.
- Supervises subordinate Engineers.
- Liaises with the funding agencies for each project.
- Liaises with the technical specialists in the Network Services Division.
- Liaises with staff of relevant Government organizations.
- Oversees inputs from consultants and other external specialists.
[iv) Key duties & responsibilities
1. Ensures, for each project allocated, a clear understanding of the key stakeholders, financing arrangements, land acquisition requirements and the current project status.
2. Prepares, from scratch or any handover report, a takeover report covering the above matters, key issues and parameters such as variations from the Division's Operations procedures manual or the Public Procurement and Disposal Act and Regulations and including a time based master implementation plan covering all project stages.
3. Identifies the key players involved in each projects stage and agrees with them their inputs, timing and duration.
4. Agrees with the Authority's procurement Unit the scope, content and timing of necessary submissions to the Unit.
5. Prepares detailed time based implementation plans, commensurate with the master plan, for each project stage, including land and property acquisitions.
6. Prepares procurement documentation for necessary studies and design and supervision consultancies.
7. Reviews all consultancy deliverables, engineering reports and tender documentation and ensures their scrutiny by relevant internal or external technical specialists.
8. Prepares invitations to pre-qualify or tender for works documents.
9. Arranges for advertising of invitations to tender, conducts prequalifications, drafts shortlists, organizes pre- tender meetings and provides responses to bidder questions.
10. Prepares necessary submissions to the Procurement Unit.
11. Oversees the performance of consultants supervising works contracts and reviews their monthly and other reports.
12. Reports on works contracts issues requiring resolution by the client.
13. Monitors physical and financial performance at every stage of the project, including attendance at monthly works contract site meetings and by regular inspection of works progress and quality.
14. Reports on actual or potential delays to project implementation and identifies remedial measures and costs.
15. Prepares regular and hoc physical and financial project report as required.
16. Prepares a comprehensive handover report if relinquishing responsibility of a project.
17. Performs such other related duties as may be assigned by the Project Manager from time to time.
[v] Person specification: The applicant must be a registered engineer with a degree in Civil Engineering or equivalent. A relevant post graduate qualification would be an advantage.
At least five years road sector experience is required, including experience in the preparation, supervision or implementation of major works contracts. Knowledge of road planning and design processes as well as specifications and procurement is essential.
[vi] Position Grade: Grade SG 4
Salaries and Benefits:
Appointments will be made on very attractive, negotiable monthly salary packages plus a range of benefits.
Conditions for Applying:
Applications accompanied by:
(i) a capability statement detailing the applicant's general qualifications, adequacy for the post and illustrated personal experience
(ii) copies of testimonials (the applicant must endorse on each copy of the submitted testimonials);
(iii) detailed curriculum vitae duly signed by the applicant on each and every page and showing previous positions held;
(iv) current salary;
(v) three referees; and
(vi) postal addresses and day telephone contacts of applicant should be submitted to:
The Secretary to the Board of Directors
Uganda National Roads Authority (UNRA)
Plot 5, Lourdel Road, Nakasero, P.O. Box 28487 - Kampala, Uganda.
To reach the Secretary not later than 11 February 2011 at 17.00 hours. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Canvassing or lobbying by applicants or their representatives will lead to disqualification.