THE EMBASSY OF DENMARK VACANCY
Job Title: ACCOUNTANT/CASHIER
The Embassy of Denmark in Kampala is responsible for:
• Pursuing Denmark’s relations with the Government of Uganda, Rwanda and Burundi.
• Managing the official Danish-Ugandan development co-operation, including harmonisation and co-ordination of efforts with other bilateral development partners, multilateral organisations, civil society organisations and the private sector.
• Promoting Denmark’s trade, investment and other interests, including Danish culture, in Uganda.
• Assist Danish Nationals when needed.
• Providing an efficient passport and consular service.
Danish-Ugandan development co-operation supports the Government of Uganda’s policies and programmes for development.
To ensure that the above is implemented according to the highest standards the Danish Embassy is inviting applications for the following vacancy:
The Embassy is responsible for financial management of the Danish development assistance to Uganda and of the operation of the Embassy.
The Accountant/Cashier will work in the Finance Section together with the Chief Financial Officer and the Accountant.
The Accountant/Cashier’s duties will include but not necessarily be limited to:
• Daily cash handling. This involves payment of cash in both dollars and local currency. Control of the petty cash to ensure that there are sufficient funds at all times. Daily control and entering of bookings in the ledgers.
• Preparation and payment of approved bill and invoices. The officer on receipt of approved bills prepares payment vouchers which are paid by cash, cheque, bank transfers or net banking.
• Filing of accounts material.
• Handling of tax claims in relation to URA.
• Monitor that electricity and water bills are paid.
• Monitor consumption of electricity, water, etc.
• Back-up for the Accountant.
• Other duties as required.
Qualifications and Experience required
• Degree in Business Administration or Bachelor of Commerce or other qualification as a professional accountant.
• At least 5 years of experience working in a similar job.
• Experience with Navision Financial System or other financial management software.
• Experience with handling of tax claims in relation to URA.
• A strong team player with a demonstrated ability to work to deadlines, often under pressure, producing work of the highest quality.
• Exhibit a high degree of drive and motivation, having the ability to work independently with minimum supervision.
Staff working at the Embassy should be willing and interested in responding to the challenges of a demanding job, which includes short deadlines and at times a considerable work pressure. Working at the Embassy of Denmark offers a number of opportunities for personal and career growth, including in-service training.
The position will be for a period of three years, renewable on the basis of satisfactory performance. The first five months will be a probationary period.
To apply please send your CV, cover letter with 3 work related referees and copies of certificates to the address below. The deadline for submission of applications is 10:00 AM, 11th March 2011.
While we appreciate all applicants’ interest in working with the Embassy, only those selected for interviews will be contacted. Any form of lobbying will lead to disqualification.
The Chief Financial Officer
Embassy of Denmark
Plot No. 3 Lumumba Avenue
P. O. Box 11243
Working culture at the Embassy of Denmark is based the Ministry of Foreign Affairs’ core values, namely Musicality, Professionalism, Dynamism, Transparency and Job Satisfaction.
The Embassy of Denmark is an equal opportunity employer.