Job Title: Technical Advisor for DDG, Gulu, Uganda
Closing Date: Sunday, 20 March 2011
Company: Danish Demining Group
Location: Uganda - Gulu
Danish Demining Group (DDG) has operated in Uganda since 2008. Partnering with the Office of the Prime Minister, DDG assists the National Mine Action Programme (NMAP) by provision of technical, management and logistics support to the Uganda Mine Action Centre (UMAC). The NMAP comprise multi-skilled demining teams, management unit and technical specialists seconded to UMAC from Uganda People's Defence Force (UPDF) and Uganda Police (UPF).
The Technical Advisor (TA) will provide technical advice and field supervision support to the Mine Action Centre in accordance with the Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) and DDG Strategy Plan for Uganda.
The TA will be responsible for carrying out a manual deminer training course to 50 UPDF seconded trainees to UMAC. Out of this number, 40 deminers will be jointly selected by STA and TA to work under the mine action programme. After the training course, TA will carry out on-the-job training in the field by conducting Quality Assurance (QA), providing Technical Advisory and contributing to UMAC operational planning in mined areas.
* Provide support to the management and technical support work of DDG's Senior Technical Advisor (STA) for UMAC in Gulu and in the field. The support entails technical advisory, training and QA assistance related to explosive ordnance; clearance, survey and reporting methodology; planning of operations; technical reporting; and risk assessments.
* Monitor and assist in supervision of the 12+1 team structure carrying out clearance, EOD and survey activities and develop their technical and management capacity. Accordingly, oversee the application of SOPs and land release procedures in accordance with Uganda Mine Action Standards (UMAS).
* Carry out a manual deminer training course in Gulu using Minelab F3 for 50 personnel and evaluate and rank 40 best trainees for STA decision of deployment. Further conduct on-the-job training and QA on the new and existing demining capacity operating in mined areas.
* Develop and maintain effective logistics and communication systems at MAC in Gulu to verify the individual team moves and activities at all times, including a fuel consumption and vehicle service monitoring tool, towards improved cost-efficiency and use of resources.
* Ensure reporting and information management in the field adhere to SOPs and UMAS, measure progress, prepare technical reports and assist UMAC management in the same.
* Monitor the use of DDG vehicles, equipment and other assets lent to and utilised and report to STA accordingly. Assist in procurement of explosives and accessories. Carry out inventories on behalf of DDG.
* Substantial documented professional technical experience in mine action.
* Excellent management and personnel skills - a calm and diplomatic disposition will be preferred.
* Excellent communication and analytical skills with strong administrative ability.
* Ability to understand the cultural and political environment and to work accordingly with the local authorities.
* Ability to work independently and as part of a team in remote areas.
* Fluency in spoken and written English.
* Good computer skills including Excel, Word and PowerPoint.
POSITION & REPORTING LINE
The Technical Advisor (TA) is responsible to the Senior Technical Advisor (STA) and reports to him (to the DDG PM in the absence of the STA).
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
Commencement: As soon as possible, and no later than 01 May 2011
Duty Station: Gulu, Uganda, non-family duty station.
Contract: 12 months with possibility of extension.
Salary and other conditions in accordance with DRC's Terms of Employment for Expatriates (can be found on www.drc.dk under Vacancies). The position is placed among level E1 to E3 pending field experience.
You are welcome to contact Head of Desk, Bodil Jacobsen, email: firstname.lastname@example.org for further information on the programme and the position.
Please note that applications are not to be sent to Ms. Jacobsen. We only accept applications sent via our on-line system at www.drc.dk/about-drc/vacancies/current-vacancies/. APPLICATIONS SENT DIRECTLY TO MS. JACOBSEN WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.
For general information about the Danish Demining Group, please consult www.danishdemininggroup.dk
How to apply
APPLICATION AND CV
Only motivated applications that address the stipulated duties and meet the required qualifications sent together with a CV, in English and marked ”DDG TA - Uganda ”, will be considered.
We only accept applications sent via our online-application form on www.drc.dk under Vacancies/Current vacancies/DDG Technical Advisor - Uganda. Please remember to upload your letter of application and CV.
CV-only applications will not be considered.
Applications are to be sent no later than 20. March 2011.
PROBLEMS WITH ON-LINE APPLICATION?
Please contact Anne Oxholm, email@example.com, if you experience problems with your on-line application.