Job Title: Internal Auditor
Reports to: Audit Committee of NCHE and Administratively to Executive Director
Purpose of Job:
To carry out an independent and objective evaluation of NCHE's operations and corporate governance processes. To add value to the Council's activities by facilitating risk management and providing recommendations for improvement.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• To constantly review and maintain a charter for Internal Audit Function in accordance with Internal Audit professional practice.
• To evaluate value for money with regard to economy, efficiently and effectiveness of operations including non-financial controls and make recommendations for improvements.
• To assess NCHE compliance with statues, regulations, procedures, policies and other requirements and advise the Council accordingly.
• To develop and implement an audit programme approved by the Audit Committee of the Council.
• Conduct regular assurance assignments and present their results to both Management and the Audit Committee in accordance with International Standards for the Professional Practice of Internal Auditing and International Financial Reporting Standards.
• To perform an independent review of the performance of the functions and strategic plans.
• To advise on and maintain policies and procedures to guide NCHE's internal audit activities in line with Internal Audit Professional Practices Framework.
• To liaise with External Auditors of the Council by providing information on all matters relating to the NCHE operations.
• To evaluate the internal control systems of NCHE and make recommendations on areas of weakness that need improvement.
• To monitor management responses and implementations of audit recommendations.
• To manage the internal audit function and report to both the Audit Committee and Council on policies, programmes and activities of the internal audit function.
• To evaluate the security, integrity and confidentiality of the IT systems and applications and conduct regular systems audits to ascertain the effectiveness of the existing internal controls and recommend improvements where necessary.
• To undertake any investigations and technical studies as directed by the Council or the Executive Director in accordance with relevant procedures.
• A Bachelors Degree in Accounting, B. Commerce or Business Administration
• Part or full professional qualification in ACCA, CPA and CIMA is an added advantage
• All applicants for the above position must be computer literate.
• A minimum of 3 years post qualification experience in Auditing in reputable organization.
• Knowledge of audit procedure, including planning, techniques and test and sampling methods involved in conducting audits.
• Basic knowledge of the Public Finance and Accountability Act and the Public Procurement and Disposal of Assets Act.
• Knowledge of computerized accounting and auditing records
• Ability to gather, analyze and evaluate facts and to prepare and present concise oral and written reports.
• Ability to maintain current knowledge of developments related to
business matters of interest to internal audit. Value for money audit competences
• Analytical skills and ability to quickly identify key audit issues.
• Ability to compose
How to apply
For all positions:
The National Council for Higher Education pays an attractive consolidated package comparable to those of other statutory
Interested persons should send, or personally deliver an application with all the necessary attachments of photocopies of certificates, awards, publication records, names of three references, email and telephone contact numbers to the address below. Indicate on the envelop the position applied for. Closing date is 28 March 2011,
The Executive Director,
National Council for Higher Education
34 Cavers Crescent
P.O. Box 76, KYAMBOGO - UGANDA.